Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Would Princeton Admit All Five Applicants From My High School?

Replies to: Would Princeton Admit All Five Applicants From My High School?

• TiggerDadTiggerDad Registered User Posts: 1,752 Senior Member
    @merc81

Yes, it's possible that some applicants from those states had been offered admissions but chose another school. The point is that, by "geographic diversity," it simply doesn't mean that the class has to be filled with students from EVERY state.
  • makemesmartmakemesmart Registered User Posts: 898 Member
    Of course there is no mathematical formula nor requirement to fill each class with students from all states, but every TT school wants to boast about it has students from every state (better yet, country), and to say there is no competition from the same HS/region by highly competitive students (not just academics) is no different from saying there is no racial quotas (whatever the PC terms used by each school).
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 39,440 Super Moderator
    edited December 2018
    every TT school wants to boast about it has students from every state (better yet, country)
    No, they don't. They have more than enough applications from every corner of the globe that they have no need for this marketing ploy. With the exception of MS, these states are all low-population states, so there may have been no qualified applicant. No top school is going to take a less-qualified applicant from SD just to say they did. Clearly you feel differently, but since debate is not allowed here, I'm moving on.
  • ColoradomamaColoradomama Registered User Posts: 2,028 Senior Member
    I have seen MIT/Caltech and Ivy admissions recruiters set up meetings in Cheyenne WY, , and the meetings often attract 95-100% Colorado and Nebraska students, in Cheyenne Wyoming! Its very difficult to recruit from Wyoming, but top universities do seem to try. Cheyenne is near both the CO and Nebraska borders.
    I have seen MIT admit six students in a year, from one or two Colorado high schools, Those two high schools appear "feeder" high school for MIT, and a few of those students, two that year, attended Harvard or Princeton as I remember.

Strange things do happen on any given year with admissions. The " odds" are broken in admissions at times.
    Which is why it makes sense to apply where you want to attend, regardless of other students in your high school.

I have seen a Math Olympiad get rejected for instance and land at a public university. He was top 16 in the USA in math and did not apply to enough schools, assumed he would get into his first choice, but he did not get in.
  • yucca10yucca10 Registered User Posts: 816 Member
    Looking at Naviance, from out school (large competitive public) between 0 and 3 kids were accepted to Princeton in the last 3 years, and between 0 and 4 to Yale. Cornell admitted 2 one year and 7 another, and UPenn 1 and 5. Both larger numbers are from 2016 which I was told was a year of unusually high concentration of brilliant students, and two kids were also accepted to Harvard in 2016 but neither Princeton nor Yale accepted anyone at all that year. Go figure.
    edited December 2018
    "....and two kids were also accepted to Harvard in 2016 but neither Princeton nor Yale accepted anyone at all that year. Go figure."

Nothing to really figure. Just as there's a "fit" factor from the applicant's perspectives, there's a "fit" factor from the institutional perspectives. I know of a kid who was rejected by every Ivy schools he applied to except Harvard. Well, that just meant that H saw in his application package a good fit at H. We see this every year, i.e., kids being accepted to Y but rejected from HPS; another kid being accepted to S but rejected from HYP; accepted to P but rejected by HYS, etc. etc. This is what the holistic admission is about, the "fitness" factor. For this reason why I stated earlier that applicants from the same high school needn't feel competitive with one another. Each student's a good fit somewhere. No degree of competition among themselves will amount to anything except for a wasted energy and totally unnecessary angst. The only thing that one has a control over is doing the best both academically and in the EC areas. Let the AdComs figure out where the kid fits best. When I look back at my S's acceptances and rejections, I saw a pattern that emerged and it all made a good sense to me to the point where I almost wanted to thank those schools that rejected him (and, of course, thank as well those schools that accepted him).
  • socaldad2002socaldad2002 Registered User Posts: 784 Member
    For the top private colleges, applying ED will help eliminate some of the same HS competition, all things being equal. For example, say there are 4 kids who will ultimately apply to Duke but only 1 is applying ED so IF there is any truth to "competing" against your fellow classmates, the ED applicant will not experience it. Unfortunately, at the top colleges you need all the help and strategy you can think of to get accepted...For colleges like the UCs, I doubt there is much same school competition as they are primarily looking at the total applicant pool's GPA, course rigor, and test scores.
  • citymama9citymama9 Registered User Posts: 2,466 Senior Member
    edited December 2018
    According to our Naviance, last yr 52 applied and 5 were accepted. Of those 5, 4 enrolled.The yr before 31 applied and 3 were accepted.
    @TiggerDad What kind of pattern did you see?
    @TiggerDad Having read CC for two years, I still cannot tell what's the major difference between H, Y and P (for a STEM student) besides the location, except Y seems to be a little "softer". So I'm not quite sure how to catch this elusive "fit", and if you could elaborate on this difference it would be very helpful because my son's college list is still not final (not that we have great hopes for HYP in the RD round). Unless it's all about year-to-year needs like athletic recruitment and "we need a new trombone player this year".
    @citymama9

During the time when we were in the process of finalizing the list of colleges to apply to, we basically came up with the list in the following categories: 1) top ideal colleges, i.e., those we felt a great fit (small undergrad size, teacher-to-student ratio, Oxford-style and its variant pedagogical methods, right programs for intended studies and EC, rich endowment per student, generous FA, etc.); 2) secondary choices; and 3) safeties.

S was accepted to most on his top ideal list while he was either wailisted or rejected by most on the list of his secondary choices. The ones on his top ideal list were comprised of LACs and some LAC-like Ivies.
    edited December 2018
    @yucca10

What I said in my earlier post was the "fitness" from the institutional perspectives in the way they assess the applicants, not the applicant's view of "fit" in relation to these institutions. One thing that HYP has in tight common is their "prestige" factor that when applicants apply it's quite typical that they apply to all three. In that regard, from the applicant's point of view, they're all great "fit" since prestige is the top most on their mindset.

Obviously the "fit" factor can vary widely for each student and each family: location, intended major or concentration, programs, facilities, pedagogical methods, teacher-to-student ratio, undergrad vs grad population, political climate, FA, etc. etc.

Limiting the discussion to HYP, and disregarding the location (it's a huge "fit" factor for any students, though), P is the only one of the three with its undergrad population outnumbering the grad and prof students with all courses from its beginning level to the advanced taught directly by faculty as opposed to relying on grad students to handle the lower level courses. It's Oxford-style "preceptorial" teaching method is unique as are its "eating clubs." It doesn't have professional schools, such as law, medical and business, by institutional design. Its rich endowment per student is far ahead of any colleges out there, and that's quite significant in that it allows enriched student experiences, such as taking a course on Greek archaeology actually in Greece or taking a gap year or study abroad with all expenses paid for, etc.

I'm singling out P here because it stands out so naturally against the other two for its unique and distinctness, and it's the one I've spent more time researching and getting to know. When we were selecting the final list of colleges to apply to, as I mentioned in my earlier post, our top priority was those schools that are most undergrad focused. We didn't want a school that's huge and spread out with all three professional schools dominating the institutional presence. That doesn't mean that the quality of, say, Harvard undergraduate experience is poorer. I'd say it's more a "cultural" aspect that's different among HYP.
    @TiggerDad Thank you!
    @TiggerDad Thank you! I had to google "preceptorial" and this sounds great.
  • CenterCenter Registered User Posts: 2,270 Senior Member
    2013-2015 Harvard=33; 2015-2017 Harvard 27: 2016-2018 Harvard 19 (divide by 3 for approx per year)
    2013-2015 Princeton=23; 2015-2017 Princeton 18: 2016-2018 Princeton 17