Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

196979899100102»

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• OhioKarenOhioKaren Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited November 11
    Daughter has been accepted to several schools. Her h.s. transcript listed her senior year classes that she would take this spring. At the time her transcript was sent as part of her application, her counselor listed 3 potential half-year semester classes just in case she didn't get into her dual enrollment classes for spring semester, but now (as of last week) she is registered for 2 new college classes for spring semester. One of the schools she was accepted to said to "alert them" if there are "considerable changes" from the time she originally applied to college. Is dropping three second semester h.s. classes to add two college semester classes (dual enrollment) considered a "considerable change." Do we need to tell this particular school about the change in her classes for second semester? She is still taking 2 full year high school classes in addition to the 2 semester college she's taking now, and the two new college classes she'll take second semester. This particular school had a section in her admissions info stated "reasons for rescinded applications" and considerable changes was one of the reasons.
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,919 Senior Member
    @OhioKaren -You should tell ALL of your daughter's colleges about the changes. There is no down side to doing this (except that it will take a few minutes of your daughter's time) and the college folks can get rather huffy when a final transcript doesn't resemble the one that was initially received. Even when the changes add MORE rigorous classes than initially reported (which seems to be true in your daughter's case), it's still a bad idea to not report the changes.
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 Registered User Posts: 11,885 Senior Member
    @Sally_Rubenstone how does a college get a different transcript? Do they not only get one?

All my kids got was a section of the common app asking what courses they intended to take. Seems reasonable that it might change from app time (fall) to the time they actually register for senior spring classes.
  • skieuropeskieurope Super Moderator Posts: 38,271 Super Moderator
    edited November 11
    @Sally_Rubenstone how does a college get a different transcript? Do they not only get one?
    Most colleges will get the transcript at the time of application, a mid-year report with 1st semester grades, and then the college one accepts and will be attending gets a final transcript. Most acceptance letters will contain a sentance saying something similar to "This offer is contingent upon successful completion of any course work you are currently pursuing."

Colleges know that the plan cannot always be executed for various reasons, particularly when it comes to a semester-length course. They usually will not have an issue if the change does not result in a decrease in rigor, But as @Sally_Rubenstone , they don't like surprises. It takes less than a minute to type, "Due to insufficient enrollment, my planned Latin American Government class was cancelled. In its place, I will be taking The Role of the Supreme Court in the 20th Century.
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 3,919 Senior Member
    @OHMomof2-When I was answering @OhioKaren above what I really meant was that the final transcript needs to include the same classes that the student put on the application and that were listed on the transcript that was submitted when the student applied.

But typically a college DOES get two or even three transcripts. One will be sent when the student applies, and if that's in the fall before the first-semester grades have been posted, then the college will usually get a second one with the Midyear Report at the end of January. Then, at the end of the year, there will be a final transcript sent.
    @skieurope -Thanks! We both must've responded at about the same time.
  • YujYuj Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Son has been recently accepted to Wake Forest under their early decision plan. He is worried that he might get rescinded. Can you please weigh in?

Freshman Year - 1 AP, 3 Honors. 4 Regular classes (All As, 2 Bs)

Sophomore Year - 2 APs, 6 Honors (All As, 1 B)

Junior Year - 6 APs (All As)

Senior Year - 6 APs (As of right now: 3 As, 3 Bs)

Those As are in Statistics, Psychology, and GoPo

Those Bs are in Calculus BC (80), European History (82), and English Lit (84).

Can you please assess the situation and let us know if there is any reason to worry? He is confident that this is how his grades will remain for the rest of the year and no final grades that are Cs.
    @Yuj- Relax, your son is fine. He would need a MUCH bigger dip in grades to put his acceptance in jeopardy (at least a couple C's, maybe a D). So there's nothing to worry about here. Congratulations on his acceptance to Wake Forest.
  • pacificnwgalpacificnwgal Registered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Hello Sally,

Her grade has gone up a little now but she will end in the Bs-- affecting her GPA. Do schools like Stanford,Cornell and the like use the first semester grades of senior year to calculate GPA or just to check rigor?
    @pacificnwgal -Glad the grade has gone up. Admission officials definitely consider senior grades. First semester senior grades are as important as junior grades, although students are often led to believe that they're not.
  • KDABOMBKDABOMB Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    I am senior and I am maintaining As and mid-high Bs for the most part. I have a 93 gpa and 1410 sat. However, my calc grade is very low and could end as a D or possibly even a F. All my other grades should be just fine, and since im doing better in all classes except math than previous years overall, my gpa should stay around the same. However, I do know that a D or F in even one course can cause rescinding of my admission. I just wanted to know how probable a rescinding would be for me.(the college in question will probably be rutgers).
    @KDABOMB -Be proactive. First line up a tutor and/or go to your teacher's extra-help sessions, if offered. Next, email the regional rep at Rutgers (and at your other target colleges) to explain your situation. Point out that you're working hard in calc but you're worried that you might end up with a D or even an F anyway. List the measures you've taken to try to improve in order to emphasize that you're not slacking. Also mention that all of your OTHER grades are even better than usual.

If you contact your regional rep(s) now (these are the admission staff members at each college who oversee applicants from your high school), it's likely that a bad grade in math will be viewed as an aberration and not as the result of senioritis, and you should be okay. Good luck!