Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

1100101102103104106»

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• Shirley42Shirley42 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi Sally! I got accepted to Gonzaga University and Ohio State University, currently waiting for University of Washington. I've been studying in US for 5 years, still a English language learner but didn't applied as international student. I had a 3.5 GPA for first three years, all of my classes were As and Bs. I'm currently talking 3 AP classes, and for the first semester I had B, B+ and C+(first C in high school) for the three AP classes. I'm wondering are colleges going to take back my offer?
    Thank you so much!
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    @Shirley42 -No, colleges won't rescind your acceptances for those grades. They're lower than your norm but the classes are challenging and the drop isn't significant.

However, you said that you're an English language learner who did not apply as an international student. If you are an international applicant but didn't disclose this, then the colleges COULD rescind an acceptance if you applied as a US citizen or Permanent Resident when you're aren't. But if the colleges are aware of your citizenship or immigration status, you're fine.

• California1969California1969 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    edited March 7
    Hi Sally-
    My son got caught with drugs at his public high school. Because of that he got kicked out of his leadership class and had to switch to study hall. He needs to notify the college of his schedule change. What should he say in email? What are the chances of his acceptance being resinded if they find out?
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone CC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,010 Senior Member
    @California1969 - Your son will have to email the admission office and explain what happened. He needs to be very apologetic,saying that he knows he made a mistake and emphasizing what he's learned from it. He should accept full responsibility for his actions and not blame peers for the episode. He should also insist that he doesn't have a drug problem and that he will not be bringing drugs to campus or using them there. If he's never been in any trouble before for any reason, he can say that too. He can even volunteer to begin the first semester on probation, just to prove how serious he is about getting off to a strong start.

I can't say whether his acceptance will be rescinded. If the college in question is conservative it might be. It also depends on what drug he was caught with and the amount.

If his guidance counselor or principal is willing to write to the college to say something like, "This is a good kid who did a dumb thing but is very remorseful and it won't happen again," it will work in his favor.

Whatever happens, please assure your son that this is a tough situation but it isn't the end of the world. Even if his college DOES rescind his acceptance, he will be able to find other options and put this behind him. Ultimately, it will probably be far worse on YOU than on him because you will probably feel the pain long after your son has moved on. But, fingers crossed, his acceptance will not be revoked. Good luck!
  • hustlewhileIwaithustlewhileIwait Registered User Posts: 22 Junior Member
    Hi Sally,

I ended up dropping two classes at the semester (AP Statistics and AP Physics C E/M), replacing them with Honors Health (needed to graduate) and a blank period so I can go to my internship 45 min earlier. Should I email every college accepted into / applied to and explain this? How much of an issue is this in their eyes? AP Stats got dropped because my plans to take Health class online went awry, and AP Physics just wasn't working out for me and I feel like it was important personally to get out of it, although I'm still studying the subject on my own time alongside a few others. Will this cause me catastrophe? How should I approach the issue of telling admissions offices?

Thanks so much!
    Cam
    edited March 11
    @hustlewhileIwait -You need to report these course changes to your colleges right away. Admission folks do not like to find out that students have dropped classes that were on their applications--especially when the changes mean a less rigorous schedule than originally reported, as in your case.

So you need to explain the changes--and your reasons for making them--just as you've done here. These changes will probably have more impact at highly selective schools and not as much impact at less selective colleges. But the admission officials will view the changes in the context of your overall application and in the context of their admission standards and policies.

Bottom line: These changes MIGHT lead to rescinded acceptances at colleges that already accepted you (or to denials at colleges that have not yet replied) or they may not. But you need to find out NOW and not wait until July when the college you plan to attend receives your final transcript and says, "Never mind!" Good luck!
    Post edited by Sally_Rubenstone on
  • HSinLIHSinLI Registered User Posts: 197 Junior Member
    Hi Sally. My son dropped Computer Science in the beginning of the year, the teacher was terrible and didn’t know the subject. It was eliminated from his transcript with no record since it was early on. All his other ap calc and physics classes were there. He was accepted to his colleges and we didn’t think we had to notify them. But from the post above it looks like we should?
    @HSinLI - A student must report a change in curriculum to colleges ONLY if he or she drops a class that was listed on the application or on a transcript submitted by the high school.

It sounds as if your son dropped his computer class BEFORE he submitted any applications. So, if that’s the case, he’s fine and need not alert his colleges to the change.
  • 18engg18engg Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @Sally_Rubenstone The class was listed on the application since he submitted the common app early in Oct, he dropped it right before the cut off period in his high school and it doesn’t show on his transcript but it was listed on his common app.
    If it’s not on the transcript, I wouldn’t worry about it unless it was AP Comp Sci and he didn’t replace it with another AP class.

Even if that’s the case, it still doesn’t seem like anything to worry about, but he should notify his colleges if he’d listed it on the application.

• NotRescindGangNotRescindGang Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    Hi, I was admitted to wake forest back in November under ED1. I currently take 7 AP classes this year for a total of 17 by the end of high school. I have A’s in 2 classes, B’s in 4 classes, and unfortunately a 60 in Calculus BC. I am trying my best to pull it up, but realistically, the highest I will finish at will still be a 65 or 68 at most. I wrote the admissions department explaining my situation, getting tutoring, missing school due to migraine, and the person said rescinding is viewed on a case by case basis in the summer, but she did say that if a red flag were to rise, all that will happen is that they want me to come to wake forest for a “chat” on why I got the grade I got. How should I approach all of this? Thank you everyone!
  • twinkle1twinkle1 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, My son got a letter from Columbia college for his drop in grade in GCE A levels ? He basically got al. C inns final exam. he is recruited athlete with SAT 1460/1600 subject tests 570 and 520/600 and has been mix of Bs and Cs student in his predicted grade.
    He had flu and tournament during his exam which caused drop in grades.
    can you advice what should we do?
    @NotRescindGang - You're already doing all the right stuff. You just need to show the Wake Forest admission staff that you weren't slacking in that math class and ultimately, if you do, the low grade probably won't hurt you. You may be required to go to campus to explain yourself, but if you can provide documentation of your efforts ahead of time, you might avoid that step. Do you think that your Calc BC teacher would be willing to write a letter saying that, although you are struggling in the class, it's not due to lack of effort? That would be helpful, as would a similar letter from your tutor.

Is calculus related to your future major or career goals? If so, the admission staff may be worried that they're setting you up for failure if they ignore your grade in this class. But if calculus isn't connected to your planned path, that's another reason why the low grade won't hurt you.

If the admission officials understand the efforts you've made to raise it and view it in the context of your rigorous schedule, you should be okay. Meanwhile, just keep up the communication that you're already having with the university.
    @twinkle1 - As I just said to @NotRescindGang, your son needs to do everything he can to show the admission officials that he wasn't slacking. He can mention the flu and the tournament in his reply to Columbia's letter, but--most important--he needs to emphasize that he's working hard in his classes, in spite a low exam result. A "C" certainly isn't a disaster, especially given his predictions. So he just needs to assure the admission committee that his level of academic effort hasn't plummeted.