right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

18384858688

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

  • ppp111223ppp111223 4 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
    Yes! I do receive senior grades as well. I also do not see a mention to maintaining a certain score in my IB exams. The first condition seems to be in relation to my school transcript, wouldn’t that be right? So as long as my transcript was strong and I do receive the diploma, it should be fine?
    Thank you for the help!
    · Reply · Share
  • ppp111223ppp111223 4 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
    Also, given that it is not mentioned in my conditions that i must get a certain score, should I simply wait to see if they will contact me for an explanation? I have been told that it is very unlikely I will be rescinded, but they might want to know what happened... I’m scared that because of these bad 3 weeks of the ib exams I will get rescinded... I worked so hard all this time... I’m hoping my SAT scores (1480), SAT Subject (Math 2 750 and Spanish 730), two A grades from a summer program at Harvard, plus my school transcript will be enough for them to not rescind me if I get a 3 in one ib exam or a total of less than 30....
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @ppp111223 -I often advise students to write to colleges to warn them of bad grades BEFORE the college has contacted them. But, in YOUR case, I don't think this is appropriate since you have met all the conditions of your acceptance and it's unlikely that your low IB scores will affect your acceptance. In addition, unless you had a serious illness during the IB exams, then explaining your low grades to admission officials could possibly look lame. You have to consider that most IB students are stressed during the tests, so you can't expect the college folks to give you any special consideration just because you were stressed as well. So I suggest that you just let this go and only provide an explanation if Berkeley contacts you first. As I said before, I really think you'll be fine so try not to worry. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • ppp111223ppp111223 4 replies3 postsRegistered User New Member
    edited June 10
    Thank you so much! Yea, in my condition it seems like the only thing related to IB is that I must send the scores. I have no predicted to be compared to either. Having added IB Diploma in the diploma box shouldnt be a problem as long as I do get the diploma right? Even though I didnt add the other two diplomas in the UC App, they are also mailed to the admissions to show completion.
    Thank you so much for the help! I will try to let this go then and only mention it if the university asks. (They would probably contact me before any decision correct?). Hopefully everything will be fine like you said. Thank you
    edited June 10
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @ppp111223-Yes, if the admission officials have concerns about your final test scores, they will contact you.
    · Reply · Share
  • gasmonegasmone 1 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    edited June 14
    Hello,
    I'm an international student currently studying in the UK with the intention of going to USC in Fall of this year, who have accepted me. I was accepted on the back of A level predicteds of A*A*A, and with GCSEs of 7 A*s and 3 As. However, I've had a very tough time doing both Uk and Us applications which have sapped the energy out of me, combined with the insane amount of extracurricular and music commitments that i have and some issues in the home meaning i had to live by myself for 3 weeks in the month before my first a level. I'm fairly worried and also fairly convinced that I've ballsed up my a levels, i expect to get something along the region of BBC, or ABC. At a stretch i'll get an ABB. What is the likelihood of my offer being rescinded, with and without the context?
    edited June 14
    · Reply · Share
  • ffxconcernedffxconcerned 1 replies0 postsRegistered User New Member
    Hi. Sorry for taking up your time, but I have a major concern regarding my acceptance being potentially rescinded.

    I am a transfer student who was accepted to UCLA this year. My major is Political Science. My GPA before my last semester was a 4.0 GPA. Due to some unfortunate extenuating circumstances, my grades suddenly tanked in the last half of the semester and I may potentially (out of 4 classes) get an A, B, B, and a D (My finals were today, grades expected Tuesday). Worse is that the D is a major prep class, Elementary Statistics Honors. I have heard that a D is a guaranteed revoke of admission. I tried everything (office hours, extra credit, study sessions, practice problems), but I am certain I failed my final. As per UCLA's contract, I am prepared to report the changes with an explanation of what happened, but at this point, I cannot afford to have my acceptance revoked. My mother (currently living with) is going to leave to live with my Father in another country, all planned right as I transfer in September.

    Other important info:
    - My finals are done. This was my last semester.
    - I have taken 3 other Poli Sci major prep classes (POLI 1, 2 and 9), and have A's in all of them.
    - UCLA requires you to take at least 3 Major prep classes to be eligible for major admission (which I already did with A's in the POLI classes).
    - My grade in Stats went from an 87% to a D from just the final exam alone(potentially. And no, this isn't something that you can say "maybe you did well, you never know" to. I literally could not answer half of the questions on the test.).
    - The reason I didn't drop out of the class was that I was doing academically well past the last day I could drop (89%).
    - If I do end up with the A, B, B, and D that I predicted, my GPA will go from a 4.0 to a 3.77.
    - I have already emailed UCLA admissions about what could happen if I really do end up with a D.
    - The "extenuating circumstances" is a family member issue, the same one responsible for me dropping out of high school.
    - My school does offer summer statistics, but it is not an honors class.


    My Question: What can I do? Should I call the Admissions office as well? Should I report the "potential" changes to my grade with what I think I'll get even if my actual grades aren't out yet? How do I get into contact with an Admission Rep or an Admission counselor (or is it useless at this point)? Is there a way I can drop the class?

    Im sorry. I'm just panicking because I'm about to lose my 2nd chance to something I had no control over.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @gasmone -Can't say for sure, but I don't think you'll be rescinded, even with the BBC scenario--but let's keep our fingers crossed for a better one!
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @ffxconcerned -You can't drop the class. But I do think you should contact UCLA now (don't wait for exam results or for UCLA to contact you) to explain that you're convinced you will end up with a D in you Stats class due to a poor exam. But ONLY do this if you are willing to provide the details of your "extenuating circumstances." I understand that you may not want to to that here, in a public forum (even with an anonymous user name). But if you are hoping to evoke forgiveness from UCLA for a low grade, you will need to be specific about how your "family member issue" caused a downturn in this one class. (The information you provide will be kept confidential.)

    To reach UCLA, you can try calling this phone number (310-825-3101) during weekday business hours (M-F 8 am-5 pm) and asking to speak with an admission official who handles transfer admission from your current school. Or you can fill out this form here https://www.admission.ucla.edu/ContactForm/NewBruins.aspx but don't expect an immediate reply. Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • LiteraryMomLiteraryMom 7 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    edited June 20
    I have a question for you, Sally (and for others on this forum). My daughter has been admitted to an elite SLAC. But the admissions office recently wrote to her asking for an explanation of a medical withdrawal she took in AP Calculus BC for the last two trimesters of her senior year.
    Here is the backstory: She had an ambitious academic schedule for her senior year of high school. She'd had a serious illness, requiring surgery, in her junior year, which caused her to miss a lot of class. But she still wanted to try to handle the tough course schedule in the Fall. Of course, it ended up being too much, as it was hard for her to catch up. She developed serious depression and anxiety (she'd been an honors student all along before this). She ended up with a much lighter schedule, and then had to take a medical withdrawal from her AP Calculus BC class.
    She's explained this to the admissions office, and we have sent in the paperwork documenting her IEP and her disability accommodations, which included the option of withdrawing from a class for medical reasons. We have not heard back. Does anyone know when colleges notify students if their admission has been rescinded? And, does my daughter's situation look like one that would result in a rescinded admissions decision? Thank you for any wisdom you can offer!
    edited June 20
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @LiteraryMom -When did your daughter notify the college of her reduced schedule? Was it before she applied? After she applied but before she was admitted? Or was it after she was admitted and well after the change had been made?

    The latter situation makes me concerned that your daughter's acceptance might be rescinded, if she didn't tell the admission office about her change in schedule in a timely manner.

    But, even if she did notify the school later than she should have, colleges really don't like to revoke acceptances at all and they especially don't like to revoke them due to medical situations for fear of getting into any sort of ADA hot water.

    The college will notify your daughter (probably within the next couple weeks) if she is to lose her place in the class. But in order to gain some peace of mind, I recommend that she contact her admission rep now to confirm that there's no change in her admission status. It would also be helpful to provide an all-clear note from a physician or therapist that confirms that your daughter will be ready to take on challenging academic work in September ... assuming, of course, that you believe that she will be. Otherwise, you might consider a gap year so that she can begin her college career from a position of strength. Also, I suspect that if your daughter tells the college that she is already doing well but is interested in a gap year to fully recuperate before starting college, the admission folks would be willing to hold her place and grant her the year off.
    · Reply · Share
  • collegestress2k18collegestress2k18 20 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    I might be receiving a D in a community college class that I reported I was taking, will this get me rescinded?
    · Reply · Share
  • LiteraryMomLiteraryMom 7 replies1 postsRegistered User New Member
    Thank you! I was unaware that the withdrawal had to be reported early, and the school's guidance counselor didn't say anything about that when the decision was made for her to withdraw, so we did not notify the college prior to admission. They saw the change on the final transcript and contacted my daughter after she had been admitted. She now has a phone call with the Dean of Admissions scheduled. I appreciate the various options you suggest, as perhaps her admission status can be retained if we either send an "all clear" letter from her doctor or therapist, or discuss a gap year, per your advice. Fingers crossed!
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @collegestress2k18 -The potential impact of that community college "D" will depend on a lot of OTHER information that you're not providing here. For instance, where are you planning to enroll? Are you a transfer student or a high school student taking a college class? What do your other grades look like? Is the subject of this class a prerequisite for your major (if you're a transfer) or closely related to your intended major? Are there extenuating circumstances that affected this grade (e.g., illness, family problems, issues with the course itself or the teacher)?

    Colleges look at low grades in the context of other information. Even schools that claim to automatically rescind acceptance for senior D's don't do this without first examining the low grade in context.

    So, although I can rarely predict with complete certainty if an acceptance will be revoked for a "D," in THIS case I really have no clue at at.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @LiteraryMom-Good luck to your daughter and please let us know about her outcome since it can help other students in similar straits in future years. Meanwhile, if you have any concerns at all about your daughter's readiness to start a rigorous college program in the fall, do strongly consider a gap year. Over the eons, I've seen many students rejuvenated by spending time away from the classroom, so even if the Dean of Admissions says that your daughter can continue with her plans to enroll in the fall, don't rule out a gap year anyway, unless your daughter is dead set against it.

    · Reply · Share
  • collegestress2k18collegestress2k18 20 replies2 postsRegistered User Junior Member
    Hi! thank you for the input. I'm going into purdue as a freshman and I wasn't taking this class to get transferrable credit but rather for knowledge (the course doesn't transfer anyways). I'm a cs major and the class I'm taking is in the cs field as well. my other grades from spring semester are all A's and a B so this class would be the outlier. the problem is that the course went into the summer after high school ended meaning I was out of town frequently and fell ill for the first portion of the summer leading me to fall behind in the course.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @collegestress2k18 -Thanks for the additional information. Given this situation, I do NOT see Purdue rescinding your acceptance for a D in a community college course. But, even so, I suggest that you be proactive if you do get the D and write to the admission office to warn them that you earned a bad grade and explain why.

    But, frankly, I'm not sure that the admission folks will even see the community college grade if you don't ask the community college to send it. It's possible that your high school counselor will have submitted your final grades BEFORE the CC grade came in.So, if the CC grade was sent to your high school but only AFTER your final transcript went to Purdue, then your counselor may--or may not--send it to Purdue as a follow up.

    If the community college grade was NOT sent to your high school but the class was on your application or on your final transcript (but with a blank space awaiting a grade), it's possible--but not likely--that Purdue will contact you directly to ask for it..

    Do you know when and how Purdue will receive your final grade in the community college class?
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 postsRegistered User Member
    I'm planning to transfer to a new college for the spring semester. If the school finds out that I applied as a transfer applicant to other colleges in the fall semester, will they rescind my acceptance?
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3012 replies1111 postsCC Admissions Expert Senior Member
    @MoonKnight -I'm a bit confused by your plans and your timeline. Have you already committed to enroll at a specific college for the second semester? And did you apply to enroll there in the fall semester as well (but perhaps were deferred to spring)? So now you're waiting to see if some other college or colleges will accept you for the fall? If that's the case, there's no reason that the first school will learn about your pending applications, and your acceptance there shouldn't be in jeopardy. BUT ... if your acceptance included a "condition" stating that you could not apply elsewhere before enrolling (albeit unlikely) then you are honor-bound to withdraw your pending applications or forfeit your spring place. And if you do get accepted somewhere else for fall yet still plan to attend the first college in the spring, you need to tell the first college about your fall enrollment. Or if you are accepted somewhere for the fall and thus do NOT plan to attend the first college in the spring, you should inform them of this change right away. Sorry if I confused you but I'm a tad confused myself!
    · Reply · Share
  • MoonKnightMoonKnight 377 replies9 postsRegistered User Member
    Okay, I'll try to clarify. I'm currently enrolled in College A and will be attending it in the fall. I applied as a transfer to College B and got in for the spring semester. So I'll be moving from College A in fall to College B in the spring. I did a tour on campus and I love College B but I never attended it before so I can't say I know truly what it is like to attend. There's a difference between just visiting the campus and actually attending it. There's a very low chance like 3% that I'll want to leave College B when I attend because it is my dream school but there is one thing I don't like about the school which is the safety in the general area around the campus that if it was too unsafe, would motivate me to want to leave. So I want to be prepared JUST in case and was thinking of applying as a transfer applicant in the fall to College C even though I'll most likely stay at College B. If I get in to College C, that would mean I attend College A this upcoming fall, then College B in the spring followed by either staying with College B until graduation or going to College C. My question is if College B finds out I applied as a transfer applicant to College C in the fall, would they rescind my acceptance thus not allowing me to attend College B in the spring?
    · Reply · Share
Sign In or Register to comment.

Recent Activity