Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MIT Recruitment

moonman676moonman676 Registered User Posts: 938 Member
edited January 2012 in Athletic Recruits
Do certain coaches have more say in admissions at MIT? Meaning, do possible recruits for more competitive teams have any difference in terms of chances?

From what I have read, for the most part recruitment at MIT does not seem to mean much in the long run, but I have not read anything so far about my particular sport (soccer) which seems to be a competitive program at the school. What do you think?

Thanks, just curious.
Post edited by moonman676 on

Replies to: MIT Recruitment

• etondadetondad Registered User Posts: 1,122 Senior Member
    They have more influence than at Caltech but much less than at Harvard. I don't think that the coaches have "slots" but their interest might have an influence if a candidate is on the edge. As to which sports have (if any) more influence than others-- maybe someone else can opine.

Most importantly--have a frank and full discussion with the coach. Watch out for "wiggle words" and ask straight up about what he/she is able/willing to do about your application. It is always good to have someone who can provide a check of what you hear (everyone has a tendency to hear what we want to hear rather than what was really said...) with you in person or on the line.
  • OldbatesieDocOldbatesieDoc Registered User Posts: 2,059 Senior Member
    Can't hurt, got to have the academics-more a differentiator of equally ranked academics than an "in"
This discussion has been closed.