Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Role of high school in recruiting process

tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,142 Senior Member
This has been a question on my mind as of lately....
Opinions please....
What role should the high school play in assisting a student athlete in the recruiting process.
My son's school gave very little assistance in terms of information of guidance but I just took that at face value as my son's sport wasn't prominent at his HS.

Replies to: Role of high school in recruiting process

• DreadpiritDreadpirit Registered User Posts: 491 Member
    The answer varies by sport.

Soccer and volleyball, for example, are recruited primarily from club participation. With rare exception, college coaches have little to no contact with HS coaches. The vast majority of the training, recruiting and playing occur in these sports occur through club coaches and club events.
  • tonymomtonymom Registered User Posts: 1,142 Senior Member
    Good point! Club sports do complicate the equation. My son's sport is usually a club sport, everywhere except the east coast, but he participates on his HS team.
  • nhparent9nhparent9 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    I'd say the same for baseball. Virtually no involvement from the HS team or coach, other than when college coaches or pro scouts wanted to come to see him play in season. They would usually let the HS coach know they were coming or that they were there, but that was it.
    @nhparent9 @Dreadpirit
    So your kids found themselves on their own so to speak? As parents did you find you just had to educate yourself about the many facets of the recruiting process?
  • MidwestmomofboysMidwestmomofboys Registered User Posts: 3,684 Senior Member
    I imagine it depends on the sport. My students is a soccer player, so the focus is almost exclusively club team, club tournaments etc. We thought it was appropriate to email the high school coach with recruiting updates, what schools he was looking at, what coaches might be coming to watch high school games etc. We've heard that some college programs do like to talk with the high school soccer coach, I suppose because that coach sees the player in the broader context of the school, leadership inside the building not just on the field etc.

So we knew that, as a prospective D3 player, we had to research programs, identify recruiting camps etc. on our own. We definitely made some mistakes along the way. The one thing we did right, for sure, was build a list based on schools first. Only then did we look at the soccer programs.
  • nhparent9nhparent9 Registered User Posts: 191 Junior Member
    @tonymom - we were largely on our own. Our travel team did help some, but honestly not nearly as much as they could or should have. I spent countless hours working on it, learning, talking to people, using every resource I could. It's a lot of work, and there are plenty of opportunities to make mistakes.
  • fenwayparkfenwaypark Registered User Posts: 696 Member
    I am most familiar with baseball and tennis recruiting.

For baseball, I agree with nhparent9. It is all about what the kids do in the summer and fall. In summer it is some combination of travel teams, showcases and camps. In the fall, it is events such as Arizona Fall Classic and Jupiter (Fla). In many areas of the country (most, I would venture to say) high school baseball is to summer/fall ball what Spring Training is to the regular MLB season.

In tennis, high school competition is even more irrelevant...except perhaps in some hotbeds such as So Cal, Texas, Florida and a few others. Kids should consider themselves lucky if their high school tennis coach is at least a PE teacher looking for extra cash, who knows how to score the game. The action is at USTA tournaments, year round. Some talented players don't even bother with high school tennis because it conflicts with their tournament schedule. Many top recruits have private coaches, some of whom can be helpful in the recruiting process.
  • needscaffeineneedscaffeine Registered User Posts: 50 Junior Member
    My son's school didn't know anything about recruiting in his sport (swimming.) We were totally on our own.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 19,527 Senior Member
    My daughter's high school coaches were not even faculty, just hired for the sport. Sometimes the coach would get contacted by colleges looking for a list of names, and she'd pass on the names and the info about the colleges. DD'S club coach did happen to be a former college player and a teacher at a neighboring hs, so she knew a lot more. She had a meeting with parents at the end of junior year to talk about recruiting, but I wasn't able to go. I did ask a few of the parents about it but they weren't that helpful (mostly because their daughters didnt hAve the grads for some schools). I sort of learned a lot of it on my own, and honestly just lucked into the opportunity my daughter ended up with. Another club teammate ended up at the same school, and next year there will be 5 total from that club on her college team, so the college coach likes the way the club coach works and the club has almost become a feeder for the college.

Both the club coach and the high school coaches were happy to answer questions, provide statistics and anything else the colleges coaches wanted. They could also answer questions for the parents or girls. Could they have helped more? Yes, one went to Navy and my daughter was interested, but the coach didn't push it at all or even suggest it to me. One issue is the club or hs coach knows how the players perform on the field, but not necessarily what kind of colleges the student should be at. we were getting a lot of referrals for small LACs, and my daughter wanted engineering. Her college coach gets questionnaires from good players who don't have the grades for a engineering tech scnhool.

Don't expect the hs coaches to lead at all in some sports. In others, like football, the hs coach may have a lot of connections.
  • takeitallintakeitallin Registered User Posts: 3,378 Senior Member
    Agree- it depends. For soccer my son did not involve his high school coach in any way. Most of his recruitment was done from tournaments with his club team. Colleges either contacted his club coach directly or contacted him. He did his own outreach. The club was smaller so didn't help a lot with recruitment, but the parents on the team were pretty pro-active and we exchanged a lot of info.
    Wondering if there are sports at the high school level which do get guided support by school staff? I assumed big three do; football, basketball and baseball but maybe that's incorrect....
  • mcr976mcr976 Registered User Posts: 130 Junior Member
    My Ds track coach was helpful in emailing and calling colleges where she was interested. My D did all the work in filling out questionnaires and contacting coaches. Her sport is track and XC which really has limited club activity and is based solely on HS times
    edited November 2015
    So it seems club sports have a dedicated channel and HS sports are hit and miss depending on popularity/availability. I know a neighboring private school has a dedicated staff member (not that's all they do...) who assists student athletes with the recruiting process but that may now seem somewhat of an aberration.
  • Ohiodad51Ohiodad51 Forum Champion Athletic Recruits Posts: 2,425 Forum Champion
    In my opinion, it depends on the highest perceived level of competition the athlete plays at. In sports where the school season is a "tune up" for the club season (baseball being the example I am most familiar with), then the club coach matters more than the HS coach. In sports where the action is during the high school season, the HS coach can matter a great deal. In football there is obviously no club season, and in my experience the HS coach plays a crucial role. Wrestling, although there are certainly important out of school tournaments, seems to operate the same as football. I don't know a ton about basketball recruiting, but I assume it would fall somewhere in the middle since the HS season is extensive and AAU/travel ball is similarly a big deal.
  • OnTrack2013OnTrack2013 Registered User Posts: 237 Junior Member
    My son’s HS coach “worked the stands” for us at a few big track meets but beyond initial intros he stayed out of the mix. He also tapped into his network again for us when my son transferred after his freshman year of college. He had a real desire for my son to remain successful, and was pretty ticked off that my son’s first college coach “screwed up” the great start he gave him in HS.

But this coach is an exception. He has received national awards for his coaching ability, so it was just him personally helping my son, not the HS. He does not even work for the school and coaches the one event for the local HS team and has a club during the summer months just because he loves the sport so much.
This discussion has been closed.