Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chances please :D

Tara@NYU[email protected] Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
edited July 2007 in Barnard College
Im currently a Senior in high School, and hope to eventually major in English.
Ethnicity/ Gender: Asian/female

Academics
Am an IB Diploma student, hoping to get a predicted score of AT LEAST 38/45 (Inclusive of bonus points)
English HL- 7
Business HL- 7
History HL- 7
Math- 5
Biology- 5
Spanish-7

Final Grade 11 score was 35

All scores are on a 7 point scale
Am in the top 20% of an extremely accademically challenging high school

SAT
CR- 750
Writing- 740
Math-690
Was in the 97th percentile for PSAT

Extracurriculars
- Founded first school yearbook
- Editor of yearbook for 2 years
- Founded first school paper
- Editor of paper for 2 years
- Spent 2 years in the Press department of school festival, was the Head of Department my second year
- Summer school Harvard 2006
Have a very strong portfolio with published poems, articles in major newspapers, school paper i founded etc

Work Experience
Summer Internship at a very prestigous national newspaper
Working to raise funds/tutor kids/study child rights at a shelter for the children of commercial sex workers. Have an official online blog on the shelters website documenting my experiences. Could possibly film a documentary on it.

Sports
- Swim team for school grades 6/7/8/9/10/12
- Club swim team
- District Swim Team
- State Waterpolo Team

Social Service
- Volunteer at an Old Age Home
- Volunteer at a homeless shelter for kids
- Volunteer at a Girls Orphanage

Apply to:
NYU CAS, Vassar, Wellesly, Barnard, Northwestern University, MAYBE Columbia though it may be a bit too much of a reach, Boston College

Any thoughts on more unis to apply to?
Post edited by [email protected] on

Replies to: Chances please :D

• mythmommythmom Registered User Posts: 8,305 Senior Member
    U of Chicago, Tufts.
  • lolabellelolabelle Registered User Posts: 2,293 Senior Member
    I second UChi and Tufts. I'd add Johns Hopkins, too.
  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 19,955 Senior Member
    Just a note -- both Barnard and Chicago welcome supplemental material. (I don't know about the other colleges on your list). So you should definitely submit some of your poetry to Barnard -- just don't overdo it - a sample of 2 or 3 of your best or favorite poems will do. My d. has a close friend at Barnard who had a relatively weak high school GPA and was told by her admissions rep that she got in because of the poetry she submitted.

Your work at the shelter for the children of sex workers seems like the type of thing that could make for a good essay topic -- something that is different enough to attract notice. I suggested my daughter's essay topic from something that she had written in her blog -- the essay was a complete rewrite but was based on the same incident -- so you may find your own blog is a good source of ideas.
    Calmom makes a great point. I would underscore the point and submit published versions, not just your own MSS. My D submitted school literary mag, in which she had a poem and was editor-in-chief.
  • Tara@NYU[email protected] Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    K, thanks a lot :)
    My supplementary material would consist of about 5 newspapers, (all of which are edited and have an average of two pieces each by me), 4-5 articles published in my country's largest English newspaper, 4-5 poems that i have writen, and excerpts from my blog...
    ^ ^ ^ That sounds like overload. Send only your best. And send your articles not your enitre newspaper, etc.
    lolabelle: You give wonderful advice, and I agree w/you that the OP's list bis overload.

The editor of a newpaper should send ONE copy of the entire newspaper, ONE sample of best articles from public newspaper, BEST poem and NO blog entries.
    Mythmom, I agree with you. I'd follow that list, Tara!
  • Tara@NYU[email protected] Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    Thanks for all the help :D
This discussion has been closed.