Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

***Brown University 2018 Transfer Students Official Discussion Thread***

Replies to: ***Brown University 2018 Transfer Students Official Discussion Thread***

• SmartJarheadSmartJarhead Registered User Posts: 291 Junior Member
    @transferunkown I know its so tempting to submit the SIR and start making plans, especially with everyone else at school doing that. Everyones asking everyone where they're going every 5 minutes and I'm like "I don't know yet". Making me so much more impatient.
  • DropOfSunDropOfSun Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    edited May 2018
    @SmartJarhead I so feel that. I made it no secret that I was transferring and people have been asking where I'm going since October. One can only grit their teeth and say "I don't get acceptances 'til May" so many times...
    @DropOfSun Yup exactly. What school are you coming from?
  • DropOfSunDropOfSun Registered User Posts: 29 Junior Member
    edited May 2018
    @SmartJarhead Muhlenberg. Tiny LAC in PA that lied about a whole lot of stuff to attract students (mostly related to a theatre program that they toted as one of the best in the country), now something like 15% of the freshman class is trying to transfer.
    @DropOfSun Wow that’s crazy, well I hope you get in to a different school and get out of there
  • transferunkowntransferunkown Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    @DropOfSun @SmartJarhead I FEEL THE SAME WAY! I got a huge cold sore from being so stressed lol.. like you said, it doesn't help when everyone is making their decisions and asking me about mine! After being accepted to UCLA with such great aid I just want to plan who my roommate will be, if I'm bringing my car, where I'll be living, etc.. But then I remember I have so many other schools I am still waiting on! Glad some other people feel this pain :')
  • binklishbinklish Registered User Posts: 58 Junior Member
    will brown announce the decision date prior? or will they suddenly email us the decision is ready like previous years?
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,341 Senior Member
    The year my daughter applied to transfer to Brown, they forgot all about her. Decisions came out and everyone got one but her. When she reminded them that she had paid an app fee and submitted all the materials, they then started looking for her app. Not a surprise...they didn't even know she had applied...no.

Not lovin' or feelin' Brown. They're either so disorganized, so incompetent or both.
  • Rob3223Rob3223 Registered User Posts: 41 Junior Member
    @preppedparent Wow, sorry to hear that.

Is your daughter, by chance, Asian? I had a friend tell me she felt Brown didn’t care about her because she’s Asian.
  • jimothyhalpertjimothyhalpert Registered User Posts: 10 New Member
    @SmartJarhead I'm in a pretty similar situation to you (veteran applying to Brown), did you attend the Warrior Scholar Project or anything similar?
    @jimothyhalpert I wanted to but didn’t have a chance because of work, did you go?
    @SmartJarhead ah the real world w/o 30 days of vacation is rough lol. I'm going to one of the STEM courses in July, seems like a good opportunity.
    @jimothyhalpert Nice! Which campus?
    @SmartJarhead the University of Arizona in Tuscon. You should definitely apply next cycle, from what I've read its useful even after you start going to a large University. I'm just glad to see other service members aiming high with their educational goals. What made you decide to apply to top schools?
  • preppedparentpreppedparent Registered User Posts: 3,341 Senior Member
    @Rob3223 yes, but I think they're just incompetent. Heck of thing to apply, get everything in on time, then wait on pins and needles, for.....nothing. They didn't even know she had applied...cashed the check, but that's about it. Then all the slots were already given out, and they said they would "review her application" once they found it. It was a no, no surprise.