Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Day in the life of an investment banker...(this is rough)

Replies to: Day in the life of an investment banker...(this is rough)

• dcfcadcfca Registered User Posts: 1,552 Senior Member
    Besides that, you usually need a significant amount of work experience to get into the top schools for MBAs.

Recruitment on the west coast consists of Stanford and UC Berkeley only for most investment banking lists I've seen. I haven't seen a top investment bank have UCLA on their recruitment schedules at this point or any other CA school.
    That doesn't stop some people though; it's simply somewhat harder without firms coming onto campus.

Actually, I believe there is a member on this forum (kcfu or something) who goes to UCLA that mentioned that Goldman Sachs was recruiting on campus. Likewise with McKinsey (I know, that's management consulting but they're pretty selective too)
  • dyip10dyip10 Registered User Posts: 532 Member
    Look on the list of UCLA's career center and you'll see most of the companies I mentioned on there including Goldman Sachs. The rest recruit separately at an Investment Banking night separate from the schoolwide career fairs.
  • neweditionnewedition Registered User Posts: 146 Junior Member
    the whole point of doing ibanking right out of college is to meet a lot of people and gain job experience so you can get a "good" job in a couple of years, right? ie one with sane hours and more fulfilling content? the insane money (insane compared to what 22 year olds earn out of college) is just a way of getting people to put up with the undesirable parts of the job?
  • AllorionAllorion Registered User Posts: 355 Member
    Really? I've never actually seen them scheduled on the companies web sites.

Huh. Interesting. Learn something new every day.

newedition, I think some people still like investment banking as a job in and of itself. I personally think it is interesting to be in the midst of much of the world's finances and operations.
    most people I've talke to see to use I-Banking as a means to and end, usually with targets being PE or working like Corporate Dev.
  • CiteruidCiteruid Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    And is I-banking the only pathway to get into PE or corporate banking?
  • bestmilerbestmiler Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    what is the best major for a career in IB?
  • sammy101sammy101 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    to the original poster. That schedule for investment bankers is nothing, you should see my parents schedule in owning a busy restaurant in downtown Toronto. There are times when I don't see them for 3 days in a row and then days where I see them too much. Anybody that makes 6 figures will have to work hard.

oh and the best majors for IB are probably finance,accounting,economics,stats.
    And is I-banking the only pathway to get into PE or corporate banking?

PE is a field that is usually populated with ex-bankers and some ex-consultants, mostly bankers though and it's a very specific type of banker (you have to have the right modeling experience). They also get former executive types from companies because they bring good experience from that specific industry and contacts.

Corporate Banking is something I'm pretty sure you can get into right out of undergrad.

Corporate DEV on the other hand is something that has former i-banker and consultant types.
  • Pre-medwannabePre-medwannabe Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    droooooool PE....man a kid can only dream. Does anyone know what an Undergrad who works for a hedge fund does? What would the pay be like?
  • bestmilerbestmiler Registered User Posts: 155 Junior Member
    how many investment bankers are there in the U.S. and how hard is to become one?
  • southpasdenasouthpasdena Registered User Posts: 1,718 Senior Member
    most of the corporate execs arent brought in to work purely for the pe, they are brought in to serve as the CEO of the companies where their private equity is being purchased. And only reason these big time execs come to work is becuase of less governments regulation.
  • Pre-medwannabePre-medwannabe Registered User Posts: 809 Member
    southpasdena......lmao...the hialrious part about what you said is that its true....haha
  • zeeza01zeeza01 Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    in dubai...do Accountants earn more than investment bankers or is it the way round
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,630 Senior Member
    zeeza, the IBanking industry in the UAE is still in its infancy. However, even at this stage, IBankers are paid more than accountants, especially when you consider bonus packages.
This discussion has been closed.