Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Chance me for both Cal Poly's?

FreedoFreedo Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
edited November 2013 in California Colleges
I'm an out of state student from Nevada, and I applied to three cal state schools for civil engineering (Cal Poly SLO, Cal Poly Pomona, and San Jose State).

My stats are:
CSU GPA:

9-11th UW: 3.77 W: 3.96 (For Cal Poly SLO only)

10-11th UW: 3.89 W: 4.07 (For SJSU and Cal Poly Pomona)

SAT: 1300/1600 (CR:560 M:740)

I will also graduate with 7 AP classes:

AP Statistics
AP Government
AP Economics
AP Calculus BC
AP Physics C
AP Psychology
AP Environmental Science

So do I have a really good chance for these schools? Cal Poly SLO is my dream school, but I also really like Cal Poly Pomona too for having a large Civil Engineering program. Thanks!
Post edited by Freedo on

Replies to: Chance me for both Cal Poly's?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,657 Senior Member
    With a CSU eligibility index = 4.07 * 800 + 1300 = 4556, rejection from SJSU or CPP seems unlikely, but you never know until the results are in.

Are they affordable? Don't expect any state-based or school-based financial aid from the CSUs as an out-of-state student.
  • NCalRentNCalRent Registered User Posts: 5,764 Senior Member
    Agree with UCB on SJSU and CPP. Neither participate in WUE so you will be asked to bring a full wallet. Several CSUs do participate which would save you about $8k per year. In particular, Chico and Sac have respected Civil Engineering programs. Check out the list here. WICHE - Student Exchange Programs

As fo SLO, you are well below average for engineering majors. They consider other things like the specific math and science courses you took so, that doesn't rule you out. I give you a 50/50 shot. Also note, SLO is a bit more expensive than the others.
    Student Profile - Admissions - Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo

Good luck.
  • FreedoFreedo Registered User Posts: 18 New Member
    Thankfully they would be affordable for me, even with full price.

In regards to the eligibility index, would a ACT score be weighted into consideration more than a sat score since it's multiplied by 10? I also have a ACT score of 29 (I didn't post it since I thought more people would be familiar with SAT scores), and I know that it's pretty much the same as a 1300/1600. So would I have a better chance with my ACT score than my SAT score?
  • GoldenWestGoldenWest Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    Cal Poly SLO specifically states that the ACT is their preferred test. If you took that test and got a reasonable score, it seems to me that you should submit it.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 71,657 Senior Member
    A different version of the CSU eligibility index is used if you have ACT scores:
    https://secure.csumentor.edu/planning/high_school/elig_index_calculator.asp

You can check the thresholds for recent past years at SJSU here:
    Info.sjsu.edu

Compare ACT and SAT Scores | ACT suggests that 29 ACT is equivalent to 1300 SAT CR+M.
This discussion has been closed.