Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class of 2013 - Some things you may want to know

Replies to: Class of 2013 - Some things you may want to know

• charlie135charlie135 Registered User Posts: 145 Junior Member
    I know that Anthony is nice, how about Treworgy?
  • mountainsmountains Registered User Posts: 756 Member
    Treworgy is part of the frat row dorms (although there are no longer any fraternities in Colby) and here's a quote from website I cannot post the name on CC:
    Frat Row dorms: The seven converted frat and sorority houses host some of the most tight-knit communities on campus—-Piper, Drummond, Goddard-Hodgkins, Treworgy, Pierce, Perkins-Wilson, and Grossman. Accommodations are spare, with only two floors of housing hosting around 30 students per dorm. While drafty windows and tiny showers may turn some off, others report the settings create a bond between floor neighbors and members of nearby Frat Row houses. Colby officials have announced plans to renovate Frat Row dorms within the next few years.

I think Pierce was recently renovated.

Here's a link on Colby's website where they have a general description and some pics of the dorm buildings:

Colby College | Campus Map | Foss, Woodman

Keep on clicking "next stop" and you should cover all the dorms.
  • thinker88thinker88 Registered User Posts: 210 Junior Member
    Mountains, would you say that chem-free dorms are more likely to include students that are dry or students that merely don't want to have excessive drinking in their dorm? I ask because I am considering chem-free living, but am not completely averse to drinking, so long as it is responsible.
    S is home and this is his response - I'm paraphrasing:

There's a mix in the chem-free dorms but those who drink are definitely not into excessive drinking. There is absolutely no drinking allowed in the chem-free dorms (and rooms), but kids who have had something to drink outside the dorm can still return to the dorm. No one is shut out because they've had a drink.

Chem-free dorms tend to be quieter and cleaner over the weekends.
    Thanks for the response. It definitely sounds like something to consider.

Another question if you will: Even though it seems as though Colby students seem to be very accepting and would not judge Chem-Free students, do Chem-Free students and the rest of the students interact much socially, or are the inherent differences in their philosophies a hindrance to full interaction between the groups?

And thank you again for starting this thread. It is extremely helpful.
    Chem-free students and non-chem free do socialize. My S is in chem-free and most of his friends are from chem-free dorms but he also has a number not in chem-free. Joining clubs is a great way to meet other students. I can't emphasize enough that there is no stigma whatsoever for chem-free students. Colby has a wonderful "live and let live" philosophy.
    Alright, thanks for the response again. I think I have a much clearer picture now than I had before.
    thinker88 - You may also have the opportunity to switch from a chem-free to a non-chem free dorm once you're there, assuming there's availability. I know one of S' friend started off in a regular dorm, and decided to switch to chem-free after a few days. She was fortunate that there was a room available.
  • WhiteMuleWhiteMule Registered User Posts: 35 Junior Member
    I would personally avoid living in Trewge at all costs, its by far the "dumpiest" dorm on campus, and in sore need of renovation. Still, when compared to a lot of other schools, Colby does have nice dorms (Trewge included).
    My S said the exact same thing as WhiteMule. Treworgy is a quiet dorm along with Anthony which is quite nice, I heard.
  • DadJRSDadJRS Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    Any recommendations for cell phone service in Waterville? Best service? any carriers that just don't work?
    S has US Cellular (we're from New England) and works very well. Verizon works well, too. Since the students/friends are from all over the country, I switched to a national plan with more minutes since they tend to call each other quite a bit (getting together for meals, etc - those one-minute calls add up in a hurry), not to mention also calling home and HS friends scattered all over.

Probably best to call your current cell service company and ask how well their coverage is in Waterville, ME.

Here's a link to an older discussion. Things may have changed since then.
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/colby-college/182762-cell-phone-colby.html?highlight=cell
  • cadence76cadence76 Registered User Posts: 318 Member
    mountains, you continue to be the source of great help! Hey--do you (or anybody else!) know when info comes out for freshmen? like roommate questionnaires, course sign-ups, and the all-important COOT?! High school classes ended friday, and now D is getting restless!:)
    Housing forms are already up. See the facebook group for the link. I think that COOT sign up starts tomorrow?
    I knew it was in June last year for the housing but I can't remember the exact date. One thing to remember - watch out when they open up COOT; it's definitely on a first come, first served basis. Signing up as soon as possible will help you get your first choice. I do recall that they sent an email to S when the housing, COOT, class selection were available. On class selection, it's not on a first come, first served basis at all. Just make sure you submit your course selections within the deadline set by the college. S got all the classes he wanted. Colby will also send out the name of the student's advisor before course selection. S didn't really discuss his choices with his advisor but he met with his advisor a number of times as a frosh.
This discussion has been closed.