Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Should I clarify my D grade?

sherry18sherry18 Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
edited December 2013 in College Admissions
I got a D in class because there was an unforeseen circumstance that caused me to not send in an important paper. I explained to my professor why and that I needed more time to finish it - it is a 100% valid reason - and he said yes, but he would penalize me by cutting my final grade to a C. I didn't want a C - I worked really hard in the class and would've gotten an A if it wasn't for that last paper... Anyway, I'm taking the class now again to make up the D. Should I clarify why the D is there in my UC additional comments essay, or should I just let my new A grade that will be updated in Jan do the talking?
Post edited by sherry18 on

Replies to: Should I clarify my D grade?

• mitchklongmitchklong Registered User Posts: 813 Member
    Not totally clear what is happening here but if the grade shows up on your transcript the school will see it and an explanation would help.
  • randomuseridrandomuserid Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Yes, I would definitely do so if I were you. Include the specific reason not "an unforeseen circumstance" because it could mean an unexpected vacation or a death
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,130 Super Moderator
    So you Chose not to hand in your paper after being warned a late submittal would reduce your grade... How do you think that will fly?
This discussion has been closed.