Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Running Start & Transferring Out-of-State?

potterhead78potterhead78 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
I'm currently in the Running Start program (which allows high school students to earn college credit at a local community college while also fulfilling high school graduation requirements) and I'm going to be entering my senior year this September which means applying to colleges...yikes! I am planning on graduating high school with my AA (Associates) degree in Integrated Studies which is a DTA (Direct Transfer Agreement) for colleges in state (Washington). However, I also want to apply to schools out-of-state, specifically in California and I was just wondering if my degree/credits would transfer out of state?

would having an AA improve or worsen my chances? And with Washington schools most college's specific whether running start students should apply as freshman or transfers but with out of state schools I'm not quite sure!
Searching through college board's big future website there are a few colleges in Cali that I am interested in that have "2 year credits transfer" so would that imply that they would accept my degree?

Replies to: Running Start & Transferring Out-of-State?

  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,918 Senior Member
    In most cases, college credit earned while in high school does not make you a transfer student.

    Credit may transfer, but subject credit may not be known until later if there us no articulation agreement.
  • billcshobillcsho Registered User Posts: 18,405 Senior Member
    Those are likely considered dual enrollment credits. Note than it may or may not accepted by some schools particularly from OOS.
  • catbird1catbird1 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    Hi! I was a running start student (now in a 4-year college) as well and can definitively answer this.

    If you earn your associate's degree at the time of HS graduation, you will apply as a transfer student and be eligible to complete the remaining upper-division courses at a 4-year institution.

    HOWEVER. Many institutions have a specific set of core distribution requirements for the first 2 years, and depending on the school, the courses you completed in your AA may not perfectly align with those requirements. In that case, you would need to take supplementary lower-division courses. Other schools will simply accept your AA as being equivalent to freshman and sophomore years at their college, and let you declare a major immediately and go directly into those courses.

    If you only earn credit and do not complete a degree, the above posters are correct. Your credits will be considered dual enrollment and may or may not be accepted at the college you want to attend. Most colleges consider a transfer student to be anyone who has either:
    1) completed a two-year degree, or
    2) taken college classes anytime after high school completion.

    I have a LOT of experience with this (more than any person needs), so feel free to PM me if you have other questions!
  • Erin's DadErin's Dad Super Moderator Posts: 35,959 Super Moderator
    I was just wondering if my degree/credits would transfer out of state?
    That will vary by school. You'll have to check with each one.
    whether running start students should apply as freshman or transfers but with out of state schools I'm not quite sure!
    Once again, you'll need to check with each school. As @ucbalumnus stated, most schools will NOT make you apply as a transfer student (that would put you at a disadvantage). They allow you to apply as a freshman which would allow you to compete for more scholarship options. A single person's experience will not apply across all cases or schools.
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 39,160 Senior Member
    You will apply as a freshman and when admitted will be granted advanced standing (although all your credits may not transfer).
    Applying as a freshman allows you to be eligible for maximum financial aid and merit scholarships.
    However, UC's no longer provide any financial aid to OOS applicants so unless your parent ls have agreed to pay 60k a year out of pocket, you're out of luck for those.
This discussion has been closed.