Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

Replies to: Feds uncover admissions test cheating plot

• momo2x2018momo2x2018 Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    @bearpanther
    I must have posted at the same time!

Great minds! :wink:
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,504 Senior Member
    The John Edwards affair was initially a National Enquirer story.
  • RandyErikaRandyErika Registered User Posts: 397 Member
    @twoinanddone The crimes committed are not simply that they paid someone to cheat on a test, falsified a resume, and signed a false application. I have no problem with setting an example of these parents and giving them a sentence that hurts a little more than their overstuffed pocketbooks. Cruel and unusual - no. But sending a message that such privileged entitlement won’t be tolerated - yep.
  • cptofthehousecptofthehouse Registered User Posts: 27,507 Senior Member
    If the kid never applied to the college, then that was not his application that was accepted. GT should kick him out and put the tuition paid into escrow while they sue the parent and coach for fraud.
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone Registered User Posts: 21,504 Senior Member
    I like the arguement that the school knew about the tennis coach admitting special cases and yet continued to allow them to take classes and pay for them.
  • collegemom9collegemom9 Registered User Posts: 597 Member
    @IWannaHelp The essay gets copied and pasted into the application. A kid who has never applied to college would not necessarily know that am app has to be signed by them. I know if I told my kids that we had a consultant who we were paying to make sure the apps were done correctly, they’d have no reason to doubt me. Singer likely would take the essay and copy and paste it right into the app and electronically sign it. I find it very plausible that a kid might not be aware of this kind of activity.
  • IWannaHelpIWannaHelp Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    @collegemom9
    Wouldn’t that make it not the kid’s application though? Anyone that relies on others to do the whole application has no business to be in any good schools, let alone top colleges.
  • threeofthreethreeofthree Registered User Posts: 1,060 Senior Member
    Regarding the coaches salary - Pretty sure Auburn covers it's athletic costs with it's game receipts and fundraising/donations - same for Alabama, probably a number of other SEC schools too. Auburn athletics had surplus $'s in excess of $10M/$15M for at least the last 5 years. Athletics at those schools don't negatively impact academic budgets - although I do believe they share some of their money with the marching band program (that may fall under athletics though?).
  • privatebankerprivatebanker Registered User Posts: 4,617 Senior Member
    @threeofthree If donors and boosters wanted to endow the head coaches salary at Auburn. Could t the gate receipts be then used for more merit scholarships or new dorms. I don’t see why people wouldn’t see a benefit with this approach.

Which is all hypothetical anyway.
  • PlotinusPlotinus Registered User Posts: 958 Member
    The SAT will now give students an “adversity score” to capture their social, economic background
    The College Board plans to assign an adversity score to every student who takes the SAT to try to capture their social and economic background, jumping into the debate raging over race and class in college admissions.

Read in The Wall Street Journal: https://apple.news/AQl-gC3C2Tgy5GMfJWI_nxQ

I guess this will solve the problem. Not.
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff Registered User Posts: 2,947 Senior Member
    So I would not have my kid take the Sat then. Can't wait for those lawsuits to hit when little Billy doesn't get into Harvard... Lol...
  • lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,966 Senior Member
    Different colleges can budget athletic resources per their own policies and state oversight.

Yale does have this lax fund. We don't know much more about it. Nor that donations led to abuses.

• northwestynorthwesty Registered User Posts: 3,414 Senior Member
    edited May 16
    "If donors and boosters wanted to endow the head coaches salary at Auburn. Could t the gate receipts be then used for more merit scholarships or new dorms. I don’t see why people wouldn’t see a benefit with this approach."

More likely, the endowment just frees up cash that can be used to support other athletic programs. That's the model -- hoops and football generate a surplus, then the surplus is spent on money consuming teams.

Almost no college athletic programs are rich enough to send any dollars to the academic side. ND and Bama and (maybe) Texas do this, but that's about it. Much much much more common is the athletic program (even after accounting for football and hoops revenue) that takes money from the academic side.

For example, UVA just raised a $10 million dollar endowment for its mens basketball program. As the current national champion and a top program in the ACC power conference, UVA hoops makes a lot of dough. But about 15% of the UVA athletics budget comes from mandatory student fees (aka tuition). Those fees mostly fund other teams at UVA. UVA lacrosse, baseball, soccer, tennis, rowing have all won national championships recently, but those teams consume cash. The extra funding provided to hoops frees up dollars that can be used for the rowing team. Or to take less subsidy from the academic side.

Which is all fine with me. The UVA English department also consumes cash. UVA has decided it likes to have (and is willing to support financially) a strong lacrosse team and also a strong English department.
  • goddess00goddess00 Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    still waiting to learn how applicants could be slotted as recruits without admissions officers involved