Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is it true Riverside/Cruz accepts 90% of the admissions?

Replies to: Is it true Riverside/Cruz accepts 90% of the admissions?

• HappinessHappiness Registered User Posts: 19 New Member
    I'm not sure though. I had a friend who got accepted to Riverside with a 2.0 GPA ( H.S) and he had D's. He told me the fact that he was a CA resident and low income got him in Riverside. And if i am correct, the minimum requirements for UC is to pass with a C for all the A-G requirements right? But in this case, i have heard of many people who had D's that got accepted to Riveriside, Cruz, or Irvine.
  • im_blueim_blue Registered User Posts: 2,142 Senior Member
    No, the minimum eligible GPA is 2.8, and UC recently voted to raise it to 3.0. There are a few people who are still admitted by exception, though.
    2.8 high school GPA or UC gpa?

I'm having trouble and kind of stressed right now because i have a UC GPA 3.1 and high school GPA of 2.5(after the last semester of 12th grade, it'll be 2.7) (my freshman and sophomore year kind of screwed up because of the amount of stressed i had with my family etc. which i told them on my essay.) And had a few D's. But, since my junior year, i have gotten A's and B's till now. No C's and D's. So it kind of shows them that i have improved right?
  • jyancyjyancy Registered User Posts: 775 Member
    That is too farfetched Happiness. There had to have been pretty outstanding circumstances, namely medical (I don't think even low income would hack it)- but with the number of applicants that each school receives who actually do fulfill the minimum requirement (2.8 gpa) even w/ outstanding circumstances, those who are below requirements w/ outside circumstances might not even be considered to begin with. The article about what im_blue talks about can be seen at http://www.ucop.edu/news/archives/2004/sep23.htm
    You don't have to worry about the increase gpa requirements- it doesnt take effect until 2007
    So there's still a chance that a person with a GPA of under 2.8 get in right? First generation, california resident, and low income and fully disadvantaged in many ways.

Oh and i applied through EOP..
    It's very tough to say. In your position, I would definitely make sure to have a backup, CSU's or a community college --> UC transfer plan in case the worse case scenario were to occur.
    Yeah, i have cal state LA for backup. :X Thanks for all the advices.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,782 Senior Member
    folks, the rules for admission to UC are pretty clear: 1) top 12.5% of state HS graduates (that goes by UC gpa and test scores), 2) test scores alone (SAT has to be very high); or ELC (top 4 of HS class, regardless of gpa). The only way a 2.0 got in was based on ELC or test scores alone, or if the adcoms are ignoring state policy (possible, but not a good career move).

Note: Frosh grades do not count.
    Freshmen grades do not take in account? Serious? I heard from someone in from board saying that even if you had straight D's in your freshmen year, it wouldn't matter because they won't care. But i kind of doubt it.
  • mootmommootmom Registered User Posts: 4,162 Senior Member
    GPA for UC admission is calculated using grades in the UC-specified "a-g" courses that a student takes in their sophomore and junior years.
  • wondrlstwondrlst Registered User Posts: 339 Member
    as long as you have enough of the a-g crap, its fine. frosh grades really do not count.
    Heh what is enough by the way?

I still need someone to tell me if they know of anyone who got accepted to Riverside or Cruz with low stats and had D's. I have known 3 people who got accepted last year with stats that are very low. But i need more examples to kind of boost my self esteem. I know i'm impatient considering there's like 2 days till March. I just want a bit of hope.
  • bluebayoubluebayou Registered User Posts: 25,782 Senior Member
    Happiness:

do yourself a favor and check out the ucop's web page... FROSH GRADES DO NOT COUNT. Quite frankly, after four years of HS, if you are in this much a quandry, any UC is probably not the school for you.
    Guys, does your race do much of a difference? I'm half white/black, i heard if you're white you're in an advantaged at any UCs right?
This discussion has been closed.