Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this possible for common app?

2»

Replies to: Is this possible for common app?

• andreaaaaaaandreaaaaaa Registered User Posts: 7,930 Senior Member
    yeah, thats unfortunate. i wish the rules wouldnt have changed.
  • pmflahpmflah Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    tech support at the common app site advises that sending the app "all at one time" does not inform schools where your apps were sent (eg, schools do not "see" where else you are applying.
  • menloparkmommenloparkmom Registered User Posts: 12,690 Senior Member
    IF that is the case, then they may have done some modification of the application, but I wouldn't trust everything the Collegeboard has to say.
  • scorpio08scorpio08 Registered User Posts: 777 Member
    wait, so your colleges on the common app won't be able to see the other schools that you are applying to?
  • KamikazewaveKamikazewave Registered User Posts: 874 Member
    I read the early reports and couldn't believe my eyes.

Yes, it is possible to send different essays.

Once you first submit one app, you can copy it on the site, which creates a new copy of the submitted app, which you're able to edit. Thus, you can send, with one account, different essays to different colleges.
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 30,044 Super Moderator
    Kamikazewave, you could do that last year. My understanding is that they've changed the Common App and you can't do that any more.

From the Common App website:
    Once you have submitted your Common App to any institution, your application will be locked and you will not be able to make any changes to it.

That used to mean for the particular school; now it means for any of them.
  • pmflahpmflah Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    correct, schools receiving the common app do NOT see the other schools to which you are applying.
  • joe26joe26 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    what about financial aid status. can i change whether i'm applying for financial aid for applications to different colleges? for example apply for aid from yale and princeton but no aid from dartmouth and stanford. thanks
  • ChedvaChedva Super Moderator Posts: 30,044 Super Moderator
    No. The application is locked. You cannot change anything on it once it's been submitted to one college.

Of course, this does not affect whether you actually submit the FA forms to any or all of those schools.
  • joe26joe26 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    so should i apply for no aid in the common app, but send the FA forms to the need blind school anyway? or email them telling them y i didn't check the FA box in the common app. thanks
2»
This discussion has been closed.