Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

what did you wear to your interviews?

oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,300 Senior Member
edited April 2008 in College Admissions
11th grade S is just beginning to interview. We live in the very casual NW-and not many wear jackets-(as did many young men 7 years ago when we visited schools with D on the east coast-even in hot weather). Did you wear a tie? Jeans? nice pants and a tie (my idea of OK). Let me know!
Post edited by oregon101 on

Replies to: what did you wear to your interviews?

• bigreddawgiebigreddawgie Registered User Posts: 2,161 Senior Member
    jeans is a no no. def some kahakis and a nice button up, polo. dont wear a tie unless its a big interview (not alum)
  • oregon101oregon101 Registered User Posts: 5,300 Senior Member
    thanks bigreddawgie-so if you were going to visit the school and interview would you wear a tie? My D won't wear a polo. An Oakley dress shirt and Volcum dark pants--tie?
  • atrophicwhisperatrophicwhisper Registered User Posts: 1,744 Senior Member
    I wore a t-shirt and athletic shorts.

But it was a telephone interview. :P
  • tlesc01tlesc01 Registered User Posts: 420 Member
    I (am a girl) wore a plaid jumper-dress with a black turtleneck, black tights and flats.

Be presentable but not overly stuffy. I wouldn't wear a suit. Be yourself, just a little nicer.
  • radylandradyland Registered User Posts: 248 Junior Member
    I wore a black v-neck sweater with a shirt underneath and dark jeans. i looked pretty spiffy i must say. not too formal, not too casual.
  • dchow08dchow08 Registered User Posts: 3,267 Senior Member
    I live in the Northwest too! It depends on what type of interview is. For example, my first interview took place when I visited Swarthmore College. I had an interview with an "admissions fellow" who was still a student at Swarthmore. For that, I wore a nice shirt (actually, it was more like a shirt that people normally wear when they go to the mall, but I usually wear messy clothes, so it fit my definition of 'nice') and somewhat formal pants. I also wore black shoes. That was kind of formal, but I didn't really know what to wear. It made me feel a little uncomfortable because the interviewer was wearing the same clothes.

My second interview was with Reed College at a cafe. For that I just wore that same shirt (I think I wore that shirt to all my interviews, actually, since it was the only real nice shirt I owned!) and khakis. For the Reed interview I can't remember whether I wore the nice black shoes or just the plan dirty tennis shoes--I think it was the tennis shoes. The rest of my interviews were alumni interviews at Starbucks. I wore the same thing--nice shirt, khakis, and sneakers. I never wear jeans--in fact, I don't even own a pair!

Also, at the beginning of the interview, the interviewers always tell you that it's casual, and if the interview's held at a cafe, it most likely is. Just wear something appropriate and nice, and no limp handshake! Forget the jacket! Forget the tie!

Of course, they never tell you how you did on the interview, but I remember I asked the Reed interviewer, who was an admissions officer, whether what I was wearing was appropriate. I took the wrong bus and so I had to walk up a giant hill to get to the cafe (never set an interviewer on a cafe on top of a hill!) and I was kind of sweaty but she said it was perfectly fine. I don't think clothing is that big a deal, to be honest. Again, just dress nice.
  • matusmatus Registered User Posts: 104 Junior Member
    Just to be safe, don't wear jeans, t-shirts, or anything with a logo on it. I don't know exactly what's going on in interviewer's heads, but a suit and tie is a little over-the-top, in my opinion. If the interview is supposed to be somewhat casual, a sweater or nice shirt and black or khaki pants with dress shoes should be fine.
  • BoredPirateBoredPirate Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    I live in Florida and I wore a polo with khakis. It seemed to work since most of my interviews were really casual and I only remember one interviewer that dressed up more than I did.
  • noinspirationnoinspiration Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    To be honest, I wore jeans, uggs, and a nice sweater to every single one of my interviews. I would've worn a skirt or a dress, but it was really cold and rainy everywhere I interviewed (I seem to have bad timing), and I don't have any nice khaki pants.

I interviewed at Scripps, Lewis & Clark, Reed, and Pitzer. None of my interviewers seemed to mind-- some of them were even wearing jeans.

I wouldn't recommend it, especially at ivies, but I don't think it affected me negatively.
This discussion has been closed.