Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

I got rejected by Yale. I'm crushed. Is it possible for me to grovel my way in?

Replies to: I got rejected by Yale. I'm crushed. Is it possible for me to grovel my way in?

• pFNMCppFNMCp Registered User Posts: 793 Member
    Well I would have said you had nothing to lose unless you might hope to get anything from the admissions office in the future, but I guess I'm too late.
  • swamp147swamp147 Registered User Posts: 135 Junior Member
    the best thing you can do is to change your views. you've convinced yourself that you want, that you need, Yale. but you don't. you have to change how you think so that you are satisfied with going to a college that isn't in the top 10 in a bs ranking. thinking that you can only be happy if you go to yale is illogical, irrational, and bad for your health.
  • Secret Asian ManSecret Asian Man Registered User Posts: 2,497 Senior Member
    Trust me, once you go to whichever other school you're going to, you'll forget all about a transfer.
  • T26E4T26E4 Registered User Posts: 24,274 Senior Member
    OP wrote: "And at least I can try to transfer next year, right?" Where they have about a 2-3% admit rate...

OP, to be frank there are 769 WL offers that went out. Where does that place a person who's been rejected. Plz consider the wise words already given. Step back a little, and ENJOY your last few months of a very very successful HS career.

I've "been there, done that". It's not everything. Trust me.
  • JulianBernardinoJulianBernardino Registered User Posts: 84 Junior Member
    You seriously should have listened to the advice of the people in this thread.
    What's the point of asking a question if you're hardly going to consider what others have to say?
    Not a single person here supported your decision to appeal, and for good reason.

Oh wow, I sound pretty mean right now, sorry about that.

My point is: what's done is done.
    Have some self-respect, man! Things will get better. :)
  • cindysphinxcindysphinx Registered User Posts: 186 Junior Member
    Don't forget this:

Had you been admitted to Yale, you may not have liked it. As hard as this is to believe, there are people who are miserable at Yale and any other elite school you could name.

How awful would it be to give up your pride and self-respect and then not even like the place?

Besides, if Yale didn't want you, the people running the admissions process are dummies, right? Who needs to be around dummies? :)

(That's how I'm telling my D to view her rejections!)
  • collegebound91collegebound91 Registered User Posts: 381 Member
    I would have listened to all the good advice in this thread and not sent the letter. Because apart from appearing overly desperate, you DO have something to lose. Your peace of mind. You're going to have to dwell on this even longer, waiting to see if maybe, just maybe they'll reverse your rejection and admit you. Even though it's not very plausible, you'll have to hang on to that microscopic chance. It would have been so much better for you and your esteem to have just moved on, and focus on whatever great college you will be going to, rather than continue to think about Yale and have some false hope. I know it sucks, but just try to look ahead.
  • NorthstarmomNorthstarmom Registered User Posts: 24,853 Senior Member
    Incidentally, the OP has posted elsewhere that he has been accepted to the London School of Economics and got a full scholarship to Grinnell. Seems he'd be lots happier if he were counting his wonderful blessings instead of begging Yale to reverse his rejection.
  • jazrie481jazrie481 - Posts: 818 Member
    Just move on. ^ And, if that's true, you've already gotten in at good schools, so quit whining. Plus, you'll just look pathetic--sooner or later you'll get over it.
  • jaykoblivesjaykoblives Registered User Posts: 228 Junior Member
    OP, stop whining. It's Yale. A lot of people get rejected.
  • haikumarukuchanhaikumarukuchan Registered User Posts: 1,795 Senior Member
    There's always Yale For Grad School ^^
  • redlightredlight Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
    I think it's interesting that everyone thinks I'm a guy.

Anyways, okay discussion over. I'm over it. Whatevs.
  • basketballbabe13basketballbabe13 Registered User Posts: 1,058 Senior Member
    wow some people are so cocky. you should not have sent it. and you want to transfer? you think they'll admit you, even for grad school, if you broke the rules and tried to grovel your way in?
  • danasdanas Registered User Posts: 1,781 Senior Member
    A bit off topic, but I wonder what a Yale acceptance would go for if it could be sold on Ebay
  • haikumarukuchanhaikumarukuchan Registered User Posts: 1,795 Senior Member
    ^ 1000+ dollars
This discussion has been closed.