Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Taking classes at community college just for fun.

ricericericericericerice Registered User Posts: 30 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in College Admissions
Can I just take classes at a community college just for fun and not have it count for any credits and nothing on my transcript?
Post edited by ricericerice on

Replies to: Taking classes at community college just for fun.

  • chsowlflax17chsowlflax17 Registered User Posts: 941 Member
    Erm, if you were going to do that you could probably just walk into the class without even paying for it. Ask the community college to see. You might be able to take the classes pass/fail, which wouldn't affect your GPA at all. But I don't know why you'd want to take CC classes, then have to retake them in college.

    If your end goal really is just to learn or practice in some basic college classes, look up online classes from MIT: Free Online MIT Course Materials | Audio/Video Courses | MIT OpenCourseWare . They're free of charge, and you only get to attend a lecture without asking questions, but if you bought the textbook you could conceivably "take" an MIT class, learning everything the paying students do. You'd just have no easy resources for help.

    EDIT: I don't mean ask your CC about walking into classes (and maybe you can't if they're smaller classes), but ask them about taking the classes without getting credit for them.
  • Vickyt09Vickyt09 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    Yes, you can take classes and not submit them to your high school.

    You can either do what chsowlflax17 said, or pay for them. The plus for paying for them is when matriculating into your college, the college might give you credit for those classes. Usually, when transferring comm college credits, grades don't transfer, only credits.
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 28,726 Senior Member
    You may be able to register for the class as an Audit. No grade will be recorded, but there will be an academic transcript.

    You also should look for Non Credit courses. They may be in a special division with a name like "Work Force Development" or the like. You'd just pay for the class, and go to class, and it would be fun, and there would be no academic credit involved. Depending on the specific course you might get a "Certificate of Completion", but certainly no academic transcript.
  • Vickyt09Vickyt09 Registered User Posts: 47 Junior Member
    lol, I obviously read that question wrong. Sorry.
  • college bound!college bound! Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    yes! i dual enroll so i can take classes for enjoyment. i pay literally nothing. ask your guidance counselor.
  • aigiqinfaigiqinf Registered User Posts: 4,032 Senior Member
    Put the OP doesn't want grades or anything on his/her transcript.
This discussion has been closed.