Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Admission Stats 2010--Read 'Em But Don't Weep

Replies to: Admission Stats 2010--Read 'Em But Don't Weep

• motion12345motion12345 Registered User Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    I think nowadays they look for students who are still focused on their future and not their numbers

No. They don't.
  • chaosakitachaosakita Registered User Posts: 1,439 Senior Member
    Even Brown's admit rate has dropped below 10%. What am I going to do?
  • roderickroderick Registered User Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    motion, have you been trying for IVYs only? What about the other top ranked schools?

What is the cut off for 'very' or 'most' selective schools?

Wouldn't it be a school where your hard numbers are , what, within (above?) the mid 50 pct of the standardized test scores and your GPA/rank is within the highest frequency of the last freshman class, but you are still not a lock to get in?

If you do not get in when your hard numbers would get you in, then it must be other factors such character, ECs, and demographic profile. As another poster suggested above, apparently there are unpublished (vs fully disclosed such as the hard numbers) quota that admission people have especially in the very selective colleges. This last part - that the quotas are not published - makes it hard to see why one did not get in.

It would be nice if the rejection letter said something like, 'we already have enough of your X demographic'.
  • insidiousintentinsidiousintent Registered User Posts: 14 New Member
    I had a 2100 SAT score, attend a public Italian school, speak and write 5 languages, read Latin, have decent grades and an everlasting experience in photography, an internship at the German Parliament last year, have applied to 5 Ivies and got rejected.
    I tried, and failed. But I had fun. Instead, I got into NYU LS, BU and JHU. The result wasn't that bad - even though the Ivies will always constitute my dream schools.

One never knows, so I tried, and gave them my fine 75$ share :D
  • sneva831sneva831 Registered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    i used to think that too, and i judged myself by looking at SAT and ACT stats in the 2008 FISKE guide.
    then i was rejected.

looks like standards have changed absurdly in the last 2-3 years.
  • Eagles17Eagles17 Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
    I feel like maybe people are putting too much on the Ivy League. I am a high school senior so I just got all my decisions back yesterday, and having gone through at least the admissions process, my main advice would be: apply to schools you would realistically see yourself attending and where you think you'd be happy.

I only applied to 8 schools, 6 of which were reach (my guidance counselor was NOT happy, hehe), but before I narrowed my list, I had Princeton, Harvard, and MIT on there. After visiting, I realized that even though I'd attend, I didn't think I'd be happy at those schools.

Lesson: don't wait $85 on the application fee (and sending SAT scores fee and sometimes CSS Profile fee! -- it builds up) if you wouldn't want to attend! It would suck having an amazing financial aid offer from a school you don't really want to attend and being "forced" to consider settling.

Plus, you never know what colleges are looking for - I was straight out rejected by Penn State, then waitlisted by UPenn. And since we mentioned demographics, if it matters any, I'm a middle class Asian female from NJ.

Insidiousintent, I'm so sorry you were rejected from all 5. However, you sound like an amazing person who is definitely driven and will achieve a lot in life.

I say that if you really want to attend, show it through your application, and apply! It can't hurt, and it would suck having those "what if" regrets if you don't even try. Best of luck to everyone!
    Hahaha, I liked the article titled "Wherever you go for college, they're all wannabe Hogwarts anyways."
  • Old College TryOld College Try Registered User Posts: 310 Member
    Ultimately here's waht bothers me about the Ivies encouraging applicants who don't stand a chance. Decisions came out yesterday for the Ivies. I've spoken to around 12 classmates who are absolutely devastated by their rejections. I mean crushed. They'll get over it, of course, but there a great deal of pain felt when 4 months (or more) of hoping and dreaming come crashing in on you with the click of a mouse. The Ivies seem to think we're unfeeling robots that they can use to pull down their acceptance numbers, but pretty much every rejection results in a great deal of pain.

My mom insists that when she was in high school few kids ever dreamed of attending an Ivy. I am not sure what happened over the last 30 years but for many of us getting into an Ivy (or schools like Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech) have become the meansuring stick of our self-worth. Personally, I wish USNWR never existed and I wish Ivies would realize how much pain is caused when young people who never had a realistic prayer of getting accepted are convinced that they, too, have a shot.
  • OlivertwistOlivertwist Registered User Posts: 82 Junior Member
    at princeton:

roughly 13,650 had a combined score of 2,100 or higher on the three sections of the SAT

the other half of the applicant pool didn't even have higher than a 2100.

shows who you are really competing against.
  • just a girljust a girl Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    @olivertwist: the only people i know who got into princeton were athletic recruits with less than 1800 SAT scores and below-average GPAs for my high school (i.e., the bottom 50% of the class).

so don't say that those with less than 2100s don't get in; they do. in fact, about a quarter of princeton's class is made up of athletic recruits, often with sub-par grades and SAT scores. doesn't mean princeton doesn't want them...

so in reality, the "middle 50%" of scores that USNWR ranks is deflated by the Ivy athletic recruits.
    As far as USNWR numbers go, I know the scores typically seem a lot higher than they are in reality. When I was on campus last year, I spoke with a Princeton admissions officer, and he said that anyone on financial, athletic, etc. scholarships are left out of the school averages and such. So all the recruits and people admitted through Questbridge aren't taken into account when they release the average SAT scores or GPAs and such.

Same with Brown, though - I haven't spoken with too many people, but the only people I knew accepted ED were athletes.
  • just a girljust a girl Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    ahhh, that accounts for it. either way, USNWR stats are skewed. there is reason for <2100s to apply to ivies. that doesn't mean 50% of the applicant pool should be <2100, but plenty of them do deserve to be applying (because some get in due to athletics, legacy, etc.).
  • SaintSaensSaintSaens Registered User Posts: 1,249 Senior Member
    I am not sure what happened over the last 30 years but for many of us getting into an Ivy (or schools like Stanford, MIT, Cal Tech) have become the meansuring stick of our self-worth.

I also speculate that there are a good number of parents who believe that the admissions process is a way of proving their success as parents.
  • repetiorepetio Registered User Posts: 30 New Member
    "Ivy league appls are a pain. Why are students applying in greater numbers ?"

Harvard, Princeton, and Yale (and Stanford) give unbeatable financial aid packages for middle-class families.
  • BCEagle91BCEagle91 Registered User Posts: 22,762 Senior Member
    I played tennis with a young adult - he was a talented junior in the past and still plays quite well. I found out that he went to a third-tier state university. He's a URM and perhaps he had an athletic scholarship as he's talented in a few sports. He works as an accountant with coworkers from BC, BU and Harvard. They tease him about where he went to school but they complain about their $100,000 school loans whereas he graduated debt-free. Perhaps it doesn't matter quite so much in where you go for accounting.
This discussion has been closed.