Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Required Tablet PC for Engineering

epeeff0001epeeff0001 Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited May 2013 in College Computers
I'm going to University of Louisville, and their Speed school of Engineering requires all freshman students to purchase a tablet PC with the following specs:
-Convertible screen that uses a pen and is an 'active display' rather than a basic touch screen (no clue what the last bit means?)
-Dual core processors
-At least 320 GB hard drive and 4 GB RAM
-Wireless 5100 or 5300
-Windows 7 Professional
-3 Year Warranty (less worried about this)

They recommend the Lenovo Thinkpad X230 Convertible "Select Model", which run about $1,500. As I'm a college kid with no money, I'm looking for a cheaper alternative. Any other recommendations, or ideas of where I can find the Lenovo cheap?
Thanks much!
Elizabeth
Post edited by epeeff0001 on

Replies to: Required Tablet PC for Engineering

• Niquii77Niquii77 Registered User Posts: 10,104 Senior Member
    Are you allowed to have higher specs or even Windows 8?
  • sterdog72sterdog72 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    You should check out the Lenovo Twist PC which has similar specs but can be had for around $750.
    Buy a Convertible Laptop - Lenovo S230u ThinkPad Twist Ultrabooks | Lenovo | (US)
  • Mwm013Mwm013 Registered User Posts: 32 Junior Member
    Don't know if it helps much but here it is for 1300: Lenovo ThinkPad X230 343522U 12.5" LED Tablet PC - Core i5 i5-3320M 2.6GHz - Black - Newegg.com

Also, the suggestion of sterdog72 is on sale right now for St. Patrick's day. Jump on it! I would go with that one.
  • StarspyStarspy Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    I would look into a Microsoft Surface Pro. The only thing that does not meet the requirements listed is the storage, but you can easily fix that with a small external hard drive.
  • dhoshi345dhoshi345 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    I bought a tablet, the brand is Irulu, the system is Android 4.03.
    The thing is I set up a passwork on this tablet last week, and I forgot it!!! lol.
    What can I do now?! I really need this tablet and I love it so much.
    Pls HELP!! How much tablet pc price
  • ALFALF Registered User Posts: 1,176 Senior Member
    I'm not sure that a Surface Pro could do the job. Students at our college also use tablet computers with similar specs to Louisville, and one of the teachers acquired a Surface Pro to see if it would work. As noted, there is insufficient memory, but more importantly, the video display was not able to handle the demands of their 3-D modeling program, SolidWorks. He also noted that the Surface Pro screen size was not optimal for the graphics work that engineers need to do.

Whatever you choose, make sure that it has graphics capability equal to the Lenovo, otherwise you might have problems.

High-end Windows tablet computers are not cheap; I'm pretty sure that you cannot do it for less than $1K. If that is the case, you might consider figuring out how to spend a few more $hundred to get a really good one. You are going to live on that computer for at least 4 years of heavy-duty programming and graphics work, so don't scrimp.
This discussion has been closed.