Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Asian-American Essay?

n_vk7n_vk7 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited December 2018 in College Essays
Hi, my parents were born in Sri Lanka (South of India) and I was born in AMerica. Should I do an essay about my experiences about that. Should I write about having a really long and complex name?

Replies to: Asian-American Essay?

• BKSquaredBKSquared Registered User Posts: 1,044 Senior Member
    Being from an immigrant family or having a long name by itself is not unique or distinguishing. So an essay that is in essence a biography or explanation of your name is unlikely to be effective. However, if you have interesting anecdotes of how being an immigrant or having a long complex name shaped you in a way that makes you a desirable candidate, that could become a good essay.
  • n_vk7n_vk7 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Yea I can make up something like how before I was shy and then I accepted myself and grew confident in my name.
  • jameshomiesjameshomies Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    I wrote an essay similar to this.. it sounds like a common topic but with the right spin on it it can be definitely unique to you
  • websensationwebsensation Registered User Posts: 1,927 Senior Member
    One of the best college essays I read was by an Asian American female applicant who wrote about her experiences of living as a short person. It was wonderfully funny and perceptive that probably got her accepted by all colleges. I wish I had written it, but I could not have because I am not short.