right arrow
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: AMALehigh is a rising sophomore at Lehigh University, majoring in Finance. He answers questions about academics, networking, finance, Greek life, or Lehigh in general. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Transition from Now to Past

xmasberryxmasberry 35 replies4 threads Junior Member
edited June 20 in College Essays
Does anyone have any recommendations for a quick but effective transition from the introduction to talking about something that happened in the past? I want to keep both the intro and my story in the present tense so I can maximize the detail I can use. Currently I have a dashed line to differentiate the change in tone, but I’m just curious to see if there’s any other suggestions.

(Moderator Note, merged.)

Does anyone have suggestions for starting/ending essays? I feel pretty solid about my essay, but I would appreciate any suggestions. (Also, my current ending is a play on my opening sentence to emphasize the lesson I learned.)
edited June 20
1 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Transition from Now to Past

• KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 7335 replies34 threads Senior Member
    So to me an essay to stand out should be personal, unique and interesting. Also the first 10-20 seconds of reading should grasp the reader. They should "want" to know more and why the personal, unique and interesting part.

Have someone like maybe a English teacher read your essay for feedback. The essay should be a window into you. So the reader can picture you on the campus.

If your ending makes sense then great
    It's more about what the reader can learn about you.
    · Reply · Share