Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need Advice for Common App essay

LitlhurryLitlhurry Registered User Posts: 272 Junior Member
edited August 2009 in College Essays
I'm somewhat frustrated a bit. I've gone through about 4 different essay ideas (And I wrote them all out) and trashed them all. Brainstorming is not my best skill, because there is just so much to write about.

My mom is getting extremely upset and the pressure is starting to stress me out a bit, which makes the whole process even worse.

Can you guys give me a jumping point or any advice/tips for writing something that is insightful and unique? I'm trying for some pretty competitive schools and this is very important..

Thanks.
Post edited by Litlhurry on

Replies to: Need Advice for Common App essay

• smarts1smarts1 Registered User Posts: 681 Member
    just go with something unique to you, not an admit officer.... that way you'll find a good essay.
  • Biggie_SmallsBiggie_Smalls Registered User Posts: 587 Member
    My mom does the same for me. Hang in there! I suggest going to a library or bookstore and investing in a few college application essay books, the ones that just have a bunch of sample essays. I suggest "50 Harvard essays that worked," the title goes something like that. They give you a good idea of the style and topics that get you into good colleges. Good luck!
  • SchmoomcgooSchmoomcgoo Registered User Posts: 1,295 Senior Member
    I also recommend the "50 Successful Harvard Application Essays". Other than that, sit down and write a list of things you want colleges to know that they wouldn't get from your application thus far, or qualities you are proud of (e. g. maybe you're a loyal friend, ride a unicycle, like to cook....). After you've written the list think of a story you can tell that incorporates a few of those things. Also, it's great you've done 4 essays; go through them and circle the parts you particularly like and see if you can reuse them.
This discussion has been closed.