Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Freshman Resume

kguo7kguo7 Registered User Posts: 265 Junior Member
edited December 2006 in College Life
so, im trying to start on my resume. im a freshman and there isn't much i can put down besides my college gpa, 4 clubs(2 serious ones), and my job at the marketing department.

i dont want to put down my high school gpa and test scores because they were really ****ty. ive done some extra curriculars, volunteer work, and i worked at my parents restaurant 20+ hours a week since i was 12, yes 12. so far, i have a 3.6--17credits in college. should i just put that down instead?

i will be an information and systems engineering major(maybe going into fincial analysis or production track). for those who dont know what that is, its a spin off of inidustrial engineering. its kind of odd that i hold a job in the marketing department and not in the industrial engineering department, but i can get a pretty good recommendation from the marketing department head.

someone please help me. i want to get an intern this summer and i feel like im kind of lagging behind.
Post edited by kguo7 on

Replies to: Freshman Resume

• willmingtonwavewillmingtonwave Registered User Posts: 3,344 Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I probably wouldn't put down anything from a HS resume. I wouldn't have that much to put down either and I am planning on applying for an internship early next year. I just have my GPA, Student Government, Model UN, a leadership program and possibly being an RA/being in a fraternity.
  • MissMichelleMissMichelle Registered User Posts: 690 Member
    actually, I have heard that at least for freshman year, you can use some info from your high school resume, but try to knock out anything that didn't really matter or is not applicable to what you are making application--kind of like a functional resume, i guess :) I also read someplace that it is acceptable for resumes to go back over the past four years' worth of activities/employment
  • grandpabuzzgrandpabuzz Registered User Posts: 516 Member
    You can look at mine to get some ideas:

http://www.geocities.com/grandpabuzz2000/resume1.doc
  • evelyn_roseevelyn_rose Registered User Posts: 369 Member
    Yeah, I've been told that, too - as a freshman it's acceptable to put down some high school activities, because companies will understand that you haven't had much experience in college yet.
This discussion has been closed.