Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Quandary now that I've got acceptances

rosypenrosypen Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited February 2011 in College Search & Selection
So I've been doing quite well in the acceptance department: I've been accepted by a great program at my state school, a school that's offering me a hefty scholarship and another school that I'm going to have to interview for a scholarship. But I've realized that I don't feel any attachment to any school.

I'm still waiting on six schools and I've realized that I don't feel like "This is my dream school" other than one LAC, which is out of my reach financially since it doesn't give merit scholarships.

I'm a little scared because whenever a college asks me, "Why ____" I realize that I can say tons of stuff that I might be genuinely enthusiastic about, but I'm enthusiastic about that stuff, not because it's at that college. Is it normal to feel this dispassionate? How the heck am I supposed to decide in April when apparently all I can feel is, "I can't go to this school no matter what."
Post edited by rosypen on

Replies to: Quandary now that I've got acceptances

• bzva74bzva74 - Posts: 427 Member
    Just kill yourself.
  • limabeanslimabeans Registered User Posts: 4,754 Senior Member
    Give yourself another month. You probably don't have to decide until May 1st.
  • Got2BeGreenGot2BeGreen Registered User Posts: 497 Member
    There is this myth that we are all supposed to have a "feeling" about that one special place or choice that makes us know we are really selecting rightly. Some people do have that feeling, but lots don't. Heck - some people don't even really love their brand new baby for several months!

I think you'll be doing yourself a grave disservice if you think you MUST have these kinds of feelings.

Instead of desperately trying to fall in love with a college, try making a rational decision - a decision that is in your own best interest. Once you've done that, you can encourage an attachment, nourish it, and let it grow.
  • barronsbarrons Registered User Posts: 24,873 Senior Member
    Picking a school is just a first date. Plenty time to fall in love--and most love wherever they go. It's college.
This discussion has been closed.