Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Can you help me choose some good engineering schools?

cppkingcppking Registered User Posts: 56 Junior Member
edited August 2013 in College Search & Selection
White / Male

Intended major: Civil Engineering

GPA:
Weighted: 4.17
UW: 3.77

I sort of messed up since I didn't take any honors or AP classes my freshman or sophomore year due to home and family problems . I really slacked off my freshman year, but became a lot more serious and became more dedicated to my studies starting my soph year.

So far, I'm applying to Cal Poly SLO, UT Austin, and TAMU.

Schedule last year:

AP Stats
AP Environ Sci
H Physics
H Precal
AP Psych
English 3
US History
Health / Speech

My Schedule next year:

AP Calculus BC
AP Physics C
AP Government
AP Economics
English 4
Agricultural Mechanics
Art 2

ACT: 29 (E24 M30 R27 S35 W8/12)

AP Scores:

Stats: 3
Environmental Science: 4

EC's:

Football 9th Grade
Computer Science Club: 1 year
Church Youth Group: 4 years
National Honor Society: 3 years
Peer Assistance Learning Program (Student teacher at a elementary school in the morning) : 3 years

Awards :
Algebra 2 Student of the Year
Attended the 2013 Southwest Youth Leadership Conference this summer in San Antonio (only 3 students in my class out of 400 were chosen to attend).

Over 100 volunteer hours.

I worked at a restaurant during the summer after my sophomore year.

I have currently been running a successful YouTube channel were I have been making reasonable revenue since 2010 (And yes it is appropriate content :P )

I am a resident of Texas, but OOS tuition is not an issue. Can anyone help suggest any good engineering schools that I would have a good chance of getting in to? It can be public or private, and anywhere in the country (except the south, so no GT, Alabama, ect.)

Thanks in advance!
Post edited by cppking on

Replies to: Can you help me choose some good engineering schools?

• calla1calla1 Registered User Posts: 1,956 Senior Member
    I think you should consider adding Cal Poly Pomona to your list.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 73,758 Senior Member
    What is your class rank? Texas public universities base admissions on class rank, not GPA.

They also have auto-admit thresholds (though that may not auto-admit you into your major) -- UT Austin at top 7%, and Texas A&M at top 10%, or top 25% with high enough test scores. Admission can be difficult if you are not an auto-admit, though.

You may want to check the profiles of Virginia Tech, NCSU, Stony Brook, and Minnesota to see if you have a decent chance of admission.
  • Blah2009Blah2009 Registered User Posts: 1,337 Senior Member
    Do you know what area of civil you might want to go into? Civil encompasses structural engineering, fluid mechanics, construction management, urban planning/design, transportation engineering. Concentrations exist in most engineering disciplines and will likely dictate the actual school's quality (Harvard comp sci is great for theory but is poor from a development standpoint compared to UWashington). Unfortunately, the rankings are garbage from that perspective. MIT is great for fluid mechanics but is poor for structures (yet it's ranked top 3 for "civil engineering").

UIllinois would be a solid choice (and one of the top structural engineering schools that's not too selective relative to other schools)
This discussion has been closed.