Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Tough (and Odd) College Enrolment Decision

Replies to: Tough (and Odd) College Enrolment Decision

• MYOS1634MYOS1634 Registered User Posts: 41,568 Senior Member
    Don't plan to transfer as an international unless you're full pay and even then it's not easy. (There's zero aid and top colleges favor lateral transfers foe academic reasons so it'd be difficult.)
    What are your stats?
    What would your family be able to contribute this time?
    York is better than Suffolk, but if you now have a significant amount of money to contribute in addition to what you had this year, it'd make a LOT of difference and you could net more acceptances because admitting you wouldn't be such a financial liability for the college.
  • Danny3895Danny3895 Registered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    @MYOS1634 So I got into Schulich School (York University). My school grades are pretty amazing with all A's and A*'s. I just need to work on my SAT which was 1430. When I applied to all the colleges my family could only afford about 9K but with regional scholarship and external funding, I can manage 25K now. I am also attending Columbia's summer program next month (with 100% scholarship) which will be a huge boost to my application. What would you suggest at this point? Considering how expensive US colleges are, I would still be looking for about 35K aid. Is it better to take a gap year and apply to top-notch ones next year? Or would transfer be feasible given the aid I am looking for?
    You got into Schulich and are thinking of Suffolk? ...!! ...
    (For Americans : Schulich is Canada 's Wharton).

In any case, don't take Suffolk.
    You won't be challenged there.

Ask Schulich if you can defer to work... Is work a possibility?
    If your family can afford 30-35k yes it'd make a big difference but there's no certainty you'd get into a school as goodness Schulich (it'd have to be a top 30 national university /LAC).
    @MYOS1634 I also got into UBC in Vancouver but wasn't given significant scholarship as it's a pretty expensive school. Do you think I would have a chance to get into any good liberal arts or top universities if I transfer from Schulich next year?
  • happymomof1happymomof1 Registered User Posts: 29,459 Senior Member
    What are your long range goals?

Is your primary goal studying in the US? Then sticking with Suffolk might make sense, provided you are able to afford all four years there if you aren't able to transfer out.

Do you want a long term job in the US after graduation? Then think again. The likelihood of scoring an H1B visa after your year of OPT expires is even lower than the odds were for finding the financial aid to study here.

Do you want a long term job anywhere outside your home country, and Canada would be fine for that? Then go to York with plans to stay there through completion of your studies. Canada has much friendlier immigration and work permit policies for international graduates from its universities than the US does.
  • MassmommMassmomm Registered User Posts: 3,899 Senior Member
    Suffolk is a good school, but I wouldn't cross continents or oceans to go there. Why not try for a uni in your own country?
    edited June 2017
    I wouldn't recommend Suffolk to someone who's been admitted to Schulich. It'll be easier to get a job, even in a US, from Schulich...
    It's a bit as if someone said " I've been admitted to Wharton and Cardiff Met, which should I choose? "

@danny3895:
    You cannot transfer. You may get into a university but you won't get financial aid as an international transfer.
    You choices are Schulich or gap year.
    If Schulich grants you a deferral (meaning if you work and don't attend any college, you can enroll Fall 2018) it may solve your problem but I don't know if they do.
    @happymomof1 Those are things I should be keeping in mind before finalizing my college. I have never thought about where I want to stay after college though I am certain that I want to work on my startup. The tech and startup culture is pretty solid in US but again you're right getting H1B is a big risk. Whereas, Canada is definitely a place to go if I want to stay there even after my graduation.
    @happymomof1 The only reason for coming to US was to benefit from the high quality of undergraduate education, but apparently I won't be getting that in Suffolk.
    @MYOS1634 Thank you so much for breaking it down to me. The only problem with Schulich is that it is a specialized business school and I am not sure if I want a business degree at undergraduate level. I am sure about pursuing entrepreneurship and working on a startup but not certain about getting a business degree. Hence, I was really keen on attending a good liberal arts college in US which would let me to explore my interests. I have also been an exchange student in US (with full scholarship) for one academic year in high school and loved the open curriculum.

With Schulich, they can definitely defer my admission for next year (Fall 2018) which would also give me the opportunity to apply again next year to some good places in US. But it would have been a lot better if I could have used some credits this year only because I am already one year older than my counterparts (due to exchange program).
    I know that being one year older sounds like a big deal to you now, but it really isn't. (In fact it'll likely make you very motivating you're a 21-year old sophomore :p). No one (no peer, no professors) will know your age, no one will guess at your age, no one will care. You'll be your 'class' - freshman, sophomore, etc, regardless of age.
    It sounds like what you want is Penn M&T. Waterloo would also be a good choice.
    Are you currently working on your inovation idea?
    @MYOS1634 I am definitely working on my startup at this moment, and hope to see significant development in upcoming months. Penn was like my first choice and still definitely is. I applied ED there but unfortunately nothing worked out. I also applied to a competitive liberal arts besides Penn called Haverford and was waitlisted there but their class got full as well.
    Haverford is very need-aware and only admits three internationals who need aid per year. You were wait listed for financial reasons, most likely.
    Did you take sat subjects?
    Will your start up produce results (sales, number of downloads..any number or prize...?) by October?
    My startup would be able to generate users and app downloads. I did take SAT subject too but only took Math Level 2 where I scored 800. I think I need to work on my SAT; can definitely pull up to 1500 and take one more SAT subject like Physics.
  • PurpleTitanPurpleTitan Registered User Posts: 12,682 Senior Member
    I vote for Schulich if it is affordable. The Wharton of Canada would be more like Stern, but still pretty darn good.
This discussion has been closed.