Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Colleges in the Northeast with Good Merit Scholarships

2»

Replies to: Colleges in the Northeast with Good Merit Scholarships

• Dancingmom518Dancingmom518 Registered User Posts: 315 Member
    University of Maine has a program where students with certain stats can get their own state’s in-state tuition, and it’s automatic, not competitive.
  • DadTwoGirlsDadTwoGirls Registered User Posts: 5,188 Senior Member
    "I have a 4.0 UW GPA and a 1510 SAT"
    "I can afford .... Probably about 30-40k a year"

Since you are from New Jersey, Rutgers is an obvious very good choice, or maybe NJIT or TCNJ. I am sure that you know them better than I do. I would expect all to be safeties for you but there will be other strong students from NJ at each of them due to the same financial issues that you are running into.

With stats and a budget similar to yours, one daughter ended up in Canada. McGill would be less than 40k per year in US dollars, and other universities in Quebec or east of there would be less than 30k per year (in US dollars).
  • rickle1rickle1 Registered User Posts: 1,673 Senior Member
    If you can afford 40k, getting a merit scholarship of 25k puts you in range. However, understand that tuition and fees will likely increase so if that is a max limit and you receive no additional need based aid, a 25k scholarship would ultimately make that school out of reach.

I suggest you have a serious conversation with your folks and find out exactly what their budget is, not kinda sorta 30 - 40k. That's a big difference and would eliminate a lot of schools even with aid.
  • rjollyrjolly Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    I don't know if this will help in your situation but I have been begging my kids to look at schools north of the border in Canada. McGill, McMasters, Queens, University of Toronto are all fine institutions and are a bargain compared to US schools. Many of these universities also have scholarships available even to US students. The USD is 1.26 to the CAD and the average tuition cost for international students is about 35K CAD which is about 28K US. This site for US students is a good reference for US students. http://future.utoronto.ca/international/welcome-us-students
    I hope this helps and good luck.
This discussion has been closed.