Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

The most fun Ivy

2»

Replies to: The most fun Ivy

• dcircledcircle Registered User Posts: 1,846 Senior Member
    the obvious answer to this one is brown

happiest students several years in a row
  • nooobnooob Registered User Posts: 2,065 Senior Member
    even thought cornell has a good greek scence, it also gives students a lot of work (some say more than other ivies), so that might detract from it's fun.
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    With Brown listing as self-reported happiest students (one or two the last like 5 or 6 years at least), and approximately 10 students per year transferring out (~.16%) each year, I'd have to say that regardless of what everyone here is using as their measure for social life, Brown must be doing pretty damn well.

Interestingly, one or two transfers typically return to Brown, making that percentage drop even further.

(Leaving the 'happiest' Ivy for other colleges - Features)
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    My rating:

AWESOME ACTIVE SOCIAL SCENES
    1. Dartmouth
    2. Penn
    3. Princeton
    4. Brown
    5. Cornell

SMALLER BUT ACTIVE SOCIAL SCENE
    6. Yale

FRAGMENTED SOCIAL SCENES
    7. Harvard
    8. Columbia
  • kcmdonahuekcmdonahue Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    so whats wrong with columbias social scene? if dartmouth is #1 and columbia is #8 but columbia has much more to do than dartmouth than its location that might be more fun to someone. idk just IMO you should say how youre ranking them
  • modestmelodymodestmelody Registered User Posts: 4,654 Senior Member
    Because Columbia has an extremely fragmented scene-- when you're in the center of NYC campus unity and student atmosphere is not running on high.

Columbia students have great social lives if the goal is simply to be young and in NYC, but it's a very different kind of social life than the typical college one. I'd rank Columbia first or last depending on what your wants are.
  • MillhouseMillhouse Registered User Posts: 1,102 Member
    I would say...
    Penn
    Dartmouth
    Cornell
    Yale
    Brown
    Harvard
    Columbia
    Princeton
  • honorstudenthonorstudent Registered User Posts: 914 Member
    Cornell.... geesh don't you guys watch "The Office"? That's all Andy talks about is how much partying he did there...

Hah. For real though, I think it just might be Dartmouth.
  • kcmdonahuekcmdonahue Registered User Posts: 503 Member
    Dartmouth is the classic college experience, if you want to be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

again, it all depends on your definition of "fun".
  • CayugaRed2005CayugaRed2005 Registered User Posts: 4,041 Senior Member
    1)Cornell=Dartmouth=Penn
    2) Princeton
    3) Brown=Yale=Harvard
    4) Columbia

Columbia is obviously a different beast which could make it number one for some, and Harvard obviously offers all of Boston if you get off campus, which most students don't.

Princeton it too one-dimensional in my book. Yale and Brown can be nice and low-key.

Dartmouth, Penn, and Cornell obviously have the most active Greek scenes and the most classic type of college parties, but Cornell should get points for its diversity -- everything from fraternity keggers to architecture raves, plus a strong bar, music, and house party scene. There are 30,000 college students in Ithaca. You do the math.
  • kshul4444kshul4444 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    1) Penn, Dartmouth
    2) Brown, Cornell
    3) Yale
    4) Harvard
    5) Columbia
    6) Princeton
  • mdktx1mdktx1 Registered User Posts: 55 New Member
    wait, so if Columbia has a "fragmented social scene" would it be harder for a shy student to make friends there than at the other Ivies?
  • VandySAEVandySAE Registered User Posts: 232 Junior Member
    Vanderbilt
  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 20,896 Super Moderator
    wait, so if Columbia has a "fragmented social scene" would it be harder for a shy student to make friends there than at the other Ivies?

Absolutely, because of the tendency of most socialization taking place off campus. walk right outside of the gates, you have the subway, the city bus and taxis to take students to all parts of the city. As others said with the whole city as your backdrop, you can have plenty of friends outside of campus.
  • slipper1234slipper1234 Registered User Posts: 9,084 Senior Member
    I would say a shy student would probably feel the most comfortable at Brown, Yale, or maybe Cornell. The social scenes at Dartmouth, Penn, and Princeton would probably be intimidating while the lack of a strong general campus social scene at Columbia or Harvard might make someone feel a little lost among the fray.
2»
This discussion has been closed.