right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We’ve got a new look! Walk through the key updates here.

Is Columbia the Greatest Challenger to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT?

13»

Replies to: Is Columbia the Greatest Challenger to Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and MIT?

• EliteCulture331EliteCulture331 54 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 60 Junior Member
    edited October 2018
    @Center

Although, if you want to see obsession you should see the Stanford threads or even worse UChicago. Is it possible my uncle's alma mater is influencing my view of Columbia? Possibly. Really my main bone of contention is that up until recently people have seen Harvard, Yale et al. as slightly better institutions. That probably has changed and will continue to change.

To respond to your points - I don't see physical limitations as an issue for Columbia. Close to 98% of the buildings in Morningside Heights are owned or occupied by Columbia - in other words the large majority of the buildings from 110th street to 120th street from Morningside Park to Riverside Park are owned by the institution. Also, Columbia has extended their campus into Manhattanville: 125th street to 134th street between Amsterdam and Riverside Park is an entirely new quad-centered campus almost as big as the quadrangle campus in Morningside.

Not all rankings are equally important. US News is THE ranking based centrally on the academic quality of the institution. It influences high school students significantly. Even if you look at other rankings though, Times Higher Education, ARWU, CWUR, Columbia undergrad is Top 5 nationally in all of them.
    edited October 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers 3321 replies75 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,396 Senior Member
    Also: The medical school in the 160s.

Also: the athletic facilities on the northern tip of the island including a stadium.

Columbia is either the second or the third biggest landowner in the city, I think after the Catholic Church. I need to check references on that however.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity