Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What is CAS looking for?

imnewhere1imnewhere1 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
edited February 2014 in Cornell University
Is it looking for well-rounded applicants or applicants with a specific passion/interest? Or would you say both are equally fine?

Replies to: What is CAS looking for?

• MikeNY5MikeNY5 Registered User Posts: 307 Member
    Probably the latter. They want a well rounded class that is preferably filled with many "pointy" students. Both will work, though.
  • imnewhere1imnewhere1 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Okay, just wondering because it says that "Applicants must have a strong commitment to the liberal arts and sciences". So, it made me think that they want students who have interests in math and humanities.
  • iloverainbowsyoiloverainbowsyo Registered User Posts: 91 Junior Member
    Good question...I've always been under the impression that CAS is looking for students who are well-rounded in academics. For example, I'm an English major and love writing, but I also love science. math, and literally every subject in the world (except chem :p).
  • SickofAppsSickofApps Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Like the first poster said, the importance is a well-rounded class. A class of well-rounded individuals is boring compared to a class with physics majors, business majors, pre-med majors, writing majors, etc etc. Although, that's not to say that you should be proficient in other areas while still showing a passion. (So get good grades in English even if you want to become a math major)
  • imnewhere1imnewhere1 Registered User Posts: 22 New Member
    Ah, okay just wondering because my ecs are pretty much all STEM-related, but I'm more interested in CAS than COE. I'm not sure if I should spend the summer of my junior year trying to diversify my activities or continuing with STEM (already found some to do).
This discussion has been closed.