Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Cornell ED Class of 2023 Results

124»

Replies to: Cornell ED Class of 2023 Results

• maysunmaysun Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Decision: Deferred

Objective:
    SAT I (breakdown): 790 Math 770 English
    ACT: 35
    SAT II: 800 Math 2 800 Chinese
    Unweighted GPA (out of 4.0): 4.0
    AP (place score in parenthesis): BC Calculus (5), AP Seminar(5), AP Chinese (5)
    Senior Year Course Load: Linear Algebra, AP Biology, Independent Study, AP Statistics, College Social Science Seminar, English 12 Honors, AP Environmental Science
    Major Awards (USAMO, Intel etc.): none lol

Extracurriculars (place leadership in parenthesis): Marching Band Section Leader for 3 years (12) Speech and Debate for 3 years, Jabberwocky (school lit magazine) for 2 years, makeup crew for 3 years

Volunteer/Community service: Library for 3 years, Pet store for 2 years, natural park for 1 year, bakery internship for half a year
    Summer Activities: Worked in lab at Peking University for 3 weeks, Mississippi State Vet Camp, Cornell Summer College 3 weeks
    Essays (rating 1-10, details): Common app was maybe an 8/10. Solid but I can’t really rate it after a while-- definitely personal to me and it showed growth. Cornell maybe a 9/10; made it personal and specific to school (took this from @sk2001 but fits me exactly)
    Recommendations (rating 1-10, details): Waived right to see

Teacher Rec #1: English: 8/10 at least. She loved me.
    Teacher Rec #2: Math: 8/10. Had him for two years. I feel like he got to know me as a person; I grew a lot in his classes
    Counselor Rec: We’ve become buddies and talk about stuff! 9/10 (also took these from @sk2001 , sorry dude your material just really relates to me but I'm giving you credit <333 )

Interview: Over Skype, very chill, interviewer was nice and talked about herself most of the time
    Other

Applied for Financial Aid?: Yes
    Intended Major and College: SHA
    State (if domestic applicant): PA

School Type: Very, very competitive public.
    Ethnicity: East Asian
    Income Bracket: Middle - High, which I’m grateful for
    Hooks (URM, first generation college, etc.):

Reflection: I don't know exactly why I didn't get in. Not that I think I deserve it more than others (ofc not) but I didn't have low test grades or crappy essays. I completely trust in the admissions office's decision to defer me, all I'm saying is I can't give an honest advice on what I could have improved on. It was my dream school and I worked really hard on the application:)

Strengths: High grades, course load and test scores
    Weaknesses: Probably early high school grades and lack of major awards

General Comments:
    It’s a stressful process. I remember pouring over these threads for hours on end. But it’s exciting—you’ll be where you’re meant to be. Good luck 😊 don’t stress too much. (you da real one @sk2001 )
  • skyeyesskyeyes Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi, I also have an extremely low gpa (3.8 maybe..). Do you mind talk a little bit about your common app essay?
  • MirTabassumMirTabassum Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I was rejected, but they called my counselor and told him, they really wanted to take me but chemistry regents score was really bad. It wasn't surprising to me because itś an ivy and they don´t want students with even little issues.
    Major- Architecture.