Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

phi beta kappa

coffeeeecoffeeee Registered User Posts: 77 Junior Member
edited February 2009 in Cornell University
To alums that were inducted- do you think it helped you find jobs/get accepted places? (I'm a bio major). Do you actually do anything with it? Does it cost money?

It says the top 10% GPAs get inducted, with a minimum of 3.65- any idea what GPAs the top 10% usually consist of?
Post edited by coffeeee on

Replies to: phi beta kappa

• norcalguynorcalguy Registered User Posts: 7,548 Senior Member
    40 years ago, PBK used to be a bigger deal. But, as it is, PBK is still the most prestigous honor society for undergrads. Worth the $75 in my opinion. It probably carries the most weight with older people who still recognize it as a significant honor.
  • ThePhilosopherThePhilosopher Registered User Posts: 1,661 Senior Member
    I'm kind of disappointed that this is only available to CAS students..
  • glameglame Registered User Posts: 34 Junior Member
    Are there any other honor societies on campus besides PBK? I know that is recognized as the top one, but being in ILR, I cannot join. In addition, with class rank, do they (the Registrar) calculate the rank by college or by the entire class?
  • ThePhilosopherThePhilosopher Registered User Posts: 1,661 Senior Member
    I know Human Ecology has Kappa Omicron Nu... But I would assume that it is not nearly as nationally recognized as PBK.. If you look on the ILR site it should say if there is one..
  • CayugaRed2005CayugaRed2005 Registered User Posts: 4,041 Senior Member
    By college.

In ILR, there used to be an honor society, but I do not know what happened to it. It may be back. If you dig around the Kheel Center archives in Catherwood for an afternoon -- which I heartily recommend -- you can learn a bit about it. You can also graduate with honors in ILR by graduating in the top 20 percent of your class and writing a thesis.

Ag has the Ho-Nun-De-Kah, which is pretty well established. And I suspect that Hotel and Engineering might have something as well.

Across the entire University there is also things like Golden Key, which is just a GPA cut-off. Then Quill & Dagger, Sphinx Head, MortarBoard, Red Key, etc. which are selective and have various amounts of secrecy associated with them.
  • BiophilicBiophilic Registered User Posts: 244 Junior Member
    There is no reason to waste your $75 or so to get into Phi Beta Kappa!
  • chendrixchendrix Registered User Posts: 1,925 Senior Member
    Engineering has Tau Beta Pi - the Engineering Honor Society, which allows juniors in the top 8th and seniors in the top 5th to be inducted.
  • AnbuItachiAnbuItachi Registered User Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    i can't find any info on Ho-Nun-De-Kah except some blog
  • CayugaRed2005CayugaRed2005 Registered User Posts: 4,041 Senior Member
    Ever hear of the RSO directory?

Welcome to SAO - Cornell University
This discussion has been closed.