Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
The Forums will be unavailable Tuesday, June 25 starting at 9 am ET as we prepare for a major design update!

Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

Replies to: Silverturtle's Guide to SAT and Admissions Success

• college3231college3231 Registered User Posts: 560 Member
    Thank you so much for creating this incredibly helpful guide! :)
  • HarambeeHarambee Registered User Posts: 2,604 Senior Member
    [url=http://****/dDtprb]Here is the guide in PDF form[/url].

There are some minor formating issues. Some indenting and spacing might not show up, but it should help those who need to print it or access it in a different format.
  • xunxunxunxun Registered User Posts: 71 Junior Member
    Hey I had a question about the AP exams. I am an international, and I took 4 of them. But my scores weren't great. Do you think it'll still be a good idea to send the scores to good colleges.
    My school doesn't offer AP classes( though some of the material may be simillar in Chem)
    Calculus BC-3(3)
    Chemistry-3
    Physics C(Mech)-4
    Eng Lang and composition-3
  • silverturtlesilverturtle Registered User Posts: 12,496 Senior Member
    Hey I had a question about the AP exams. I am an international, and I took 4 of them. But my scores weren't great. Do you think it'll still be a good idea to send the scores to good colleges.
    My school doesn't offer AP classes( though some of the material may be simillar in Chem)
    Calculus BC-3(3)
    Chemistry-3
    Physics C(Mech)-4
    Eng Lang and composition-3

I always recommend sending all your 4's and 5's. 3's are more difficult to decide on; but in your case (i.e., self-studying for them), sending the 3's seems like the best idea.
  • DancinggBearDancinggBear Registered User Posts: 645 Member
    very good read.
  • LightSourceLightSource - Posts: 745 Member
    Here is the guide in PDF form.
    Thank you Harambee!
  • Vertigo220hVertigo220h Registered User Posts: 914 Member
    This is the most comprehensive, helpful, and to-the-point guide that I've ever thumbed through. You're a great asset to the CC community; this will help other, future SAT-takers enormously.
  • ZosiloZosilo Registered User Posts: 188 Junior Member
    thank you harambee =D
  • nne718nne718 Registered User Posts: 1,146 Senior Member
    Cool. I'll check it out.
  • SATnoobSATnoob Registered User Posts: 152 Junior Member
    Thanks alot silverturtle! I will tell you my SAT results after reading your guide and applying them to practice tests. And can you be honest for my question? Is it possible to go from 1510 to a 1800+ within 4months on studying? I scored a 1510 because I was rushing through every question. When I took the QAS at home untimed I only missed 2 writing questions! Surprising!!
  • Jimmy797Jimmy797 Registered User Posts: 868 Member
    Quick question: Are AP's available to internationals? How can I take them?
    I'd literally never heard of them before until I started visiting CC, and my school gives no AP courses and has never mentioned those 2 letters to us. We don't even have separate math courses like calculus and such, it's just "math." And we learn everything from trig to calc to geometry in it.

Also, I've said this before, but amazing guide and props to silverturtle for taking the time to write it.
    Is it possible to go from 1510 to a 1800+ within 4months on studying? I scored a 1510 because I was rushing through every question. When I took the QAS at home untimed I only missed 2 writing questions! Surprising!!

It's definitely possible. Many CCers are exceptions to the general statistics about minor score increases. There are quite a few posters who have improved by several hundred points.
    Are AP's available to internationals? How can I take them?

Yes, they are available for internationals. Talk to your guidance counselor.
    Silverturtle, have you taken SAT Subject Tests yet?
    ^ Yes, I have taken Math Level 2, Chemistry, and Literature. I will be taking Physics and US History in October.
    ^Would you say Literature is by far the hardest? I'm deciding whether to take it or not.
This discussion has been closed.