Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Colleges with BA in MT?!

MEL097MEL097 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
edited November 2010 in Musical Theater Major
I am applying to:

University of Alabama
University of Oklahoma
Elon
Florida State
Southern Methodist (though I know they do not have a MT program specifically)
Emerson College
Oklahoma City
Tulane University

I know that most of these schools only offer a BFA in Musical Theatre, but I am very interested in a double major through a BA program. I am very academically qualified and competitive, so I wuold like to have a school that is well-esteemed for academics as I pursue another major besides Musical Theatre.

Any suggestions? Thank you in advance!
Post edited by MEL097 on

Replies to: Colleges with BA in MT?!

• TheaterluverTheaterluver Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    If you would consider California, UCLA and UC Irvine both have B.A. programs. Irvine has a BFA now but you can still get a lot of MT training without doing the BFA. It would be a B.A. in Drama. UCLA has a B.A. in MT.
  • classicalbkclassicalbk Registered User Posts: 767 Member
    James Madison in Virginia has a BA in MT (by audition).
  • KatMTKatMT College Rep Posts: 4,078 Senior Member
    I teach at James Madison and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Others include:

American (BA MT by audition)
    Temple (BA MT by audition)
    Muhlenberg (BA Theatre w/ dance and music minor opportunities. Scholarship auditions)

Northwestern (BA audition for MT Certificate at end of freshman year)
    Will you be able to double major at the schools you already have on your list?

Some additional BFA programs where a double major may be possible include:

NYU Tisch
    University of Michigan

Without knowing exact grades, test scores, etc... there is no way for posters to know your academic competitiveness at a given school. But check out the common data set on each of the websites and you can see where your stats fall.

Remember that you will likely want at least one school on your list that does not require an audition and is both an academic and financial safety.

:)
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist Honorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    It is very easy to double major at Tulane, you likely would have no trouble earning a BA in one subject and your MFA in Musical Theater.
  • anne1244anne1244 Registered User Posts: 267 Junior Member
    Slight corrections to the post on UCLA where my D is a freshman. Your degree is a BA in Theater with a specialization in Musical Theater. Admission requires a highly competitive audition. While you can minor in an area, with the number of gen eds they require combined with the rigor of the program (much like a BFA) and the state credit cap, you cannot double major.
  • fallenchemistfallenchemist Honorary Super Mod Posts: 25,129 Inactive
    Ooops, I said MFA, and of course I meant BFA.
  • momof3sonsmomof3sons Registered User Posts: 5,116 Senior Member
    If you are academically qualified, Northwestern University offers a B.A./B.S in Communications with the Theatre major. You audition after freshman or sophomore year to get into the MT certificate program. You can also double major, choosing a major in the Weinberg School of Arts & Sciences, for example.
  • theatrenerd10theatrenerd10 Registered User Posts: 124 Junior Member
    Western Connecticut State University offers a BA in MT and I am fairly certain you can double major. My friend is getting her BA in MT and BA in Special Education.
  • MommaJMommaJ Registered User Posts: 5,691 Senior Member
    Western Connecticut in no way satisfies the OP's desire for a school "well-esteemed for academics". In addition, its BA in Musical Theater is a brand new major, which may be a drawback, as is its location in Danbury.
  • snapdragonflysnapdragonfly Registered User Posts: 646 Member
    West Texas A&M in Canyon, Texas
    University of Tulsa in Tulsa, Oklahoma

Both are super nice places to live - good size city, not too big, really nice climate, not just a redneck wide spot in the road - way more support for the arts than you would expect if you didn't live there. Both schools have very good dance programs too.

We really like WTAMU, it is in d's top 4 list.

We have not visited U of Tulsa but her ballet teacher is an alumni and she loved it.

WTAMU is audition for entrance and scholarships (I think it is only recently for entrance) but D got in. (yay!!) Tulsa is audition for scholarships only, I think.

WTAMU is a branch of A&M and does not have as difficult entry requirements as the main campus but I would not in any way characterize it as low academics, and there is an honors college. U of Tulsa is more selective as it is a private (Methodist, I think, or maybe Presbyterian) school but it is not terribly hard to get into. It also has a large and very good engineering department and is just about the only school on our list with more guys than girls so I told my daughter that would be a great place for her to go to school so maybe she could find a husband who would be able to get a REAL job. HAH! HAH! (totally joking!! Well maybe mostly!!!)
This discussion has been closed.