right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Guidance on possible civil engineering schools?

2»

Replies to: Guidance on possible civil engineering schools?

• Erin's DadErin's Dad 32915 replies3643 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 36,558 Super Moderator
    Thanks for the info on Berkeley's scholarships. I agree with going with an appropriately priced ABET school. Texas has a few good schools in engineering.
    · Reply · Share
  • atxnickgatxnickg 111 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    Thanks so much for the response everyone. Tuition is definitely a factor. I'm decidedly on the border between middle and upper middle class financially. I'm definitely not wealthy, but the prospect of need-based aid is pretty low, and it's that weird point where paying for college is still really tough. BUT I do have a sibling attending an expensive private school so maybe that factors in? Let me know if that would make any considerable difference. I'm glad I posted here because you all are informing me of so much about this whole process and I'm definitely going to apply the knowledge later. At this point, UT sounds really good, and I messaged a friend of mine in their engineering program. But otherwise, are any private schools really generous with aid? Seems harder to come by at state schools. I know princeton is generous but that's definitely out of the question because I would never get in. But I hear that WashU, Northwestern, and Purdue (not sure if Purdue is private, but anyways.) have great engineering programs and are of moderate enough size to attract potential employers, but I'm unsure as to how aid is at these schools. If anyone has any details on these programs or programs like them I'd love to here what you have to say.

On a side note:

Do all schools have Engineers without borders? It sounds so cool! Does anyone have experience with the program?

On another side note:

I know this might sound far-fetched/delusional. But is a double major feasible in Engineering without going through a 3-2/4-2 program. I'm not wishing for a really heavy major like business (although that would be cool), but is adding an extra major to stand out to employers/use in other jobs doable? Let me know! Thanks everyone.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76498 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,163 Senior Member
    Purdue is public (state of Indiana).

Try using the net price calculators at each school to get an estimate of financial aid and net price that you are likely to get at each school.

Double majoring may be difficult, and generally not considered by employers except for very specific circumstances. On the other hand, it does appear that a minor in architecture is not that uncommon for civil engineering students.
    · Reply · Share
  • atxnickgatxnickg 111 replies28 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 139 Junior Member
    I'll surely check those out. I plan on getting a minor in some sort of foreign language just because I want to. But now that you bring up an architecture minor that sounds really cool and I like how it corresponds with my major. I especially like the idea of U.T's sustainable architectural design minor, as environmental stuff seems cool. Double minoring sounds cool too. I'm not exactly sure whether that's a possibility or not though.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76498 replies665 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,163 Senior Member
    Assuming you are interested in the foreign language for the language aspects, as opposed to the literature aspects (what "foreign language" majors typically include)...

If the foreign language you are interested in is relatively common (e.g. Spanish), you may not want to use up valuable schedule space while you are studying for a bachelor's degree in a major with lots of courses plus a minor filling up your free electives, but instead take it at a community college during summers or after graduation.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity