Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.



Replies to: FAFSA Situation PLEASE HELP!

  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 22,367 Super Moderator
    While Op's dad is his legal next of kin, if he is in court ordered legal guardianship, he will be considered an independent student.
    luis978 wrote:
    My dad does pay child support (because he's forced to) but i do not receive it. My sister does.

    Your sister receives the child support on your behalf, therefore, you must report the child support on the FAFSA.

    Luis, also keep in mind that just because you are independent for federal aid, you may not necessarily be independent for institutional aid; as schools may want and require your dad's income and assets on the CSS non-custodial profile. in this case, the school itself will have to issue a dependency override to determine if you are independent for institutional aid.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,719 Senior Member
    Adding to that....there was a student a few years ago who applied to a college (Bates, I believe) and they actually asked for guardian financial information initially even though the student was independent for FAFSA purposes. Bates is also a Profile School.

    But from the posts and link just provided above, you are independent for FAFSA purposes...and only your information is used. And yes, it's your form so you can complete it.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Registered User Posts: 15,278 Senior Member
    IT sounds like the OP is in a court-ordered guardianship. That is the key - it has to be full guardianship, authorized by the court, and currently in effect (or in effect as of the student's 18th birthday). If this is the case, the student is independent, and the CS received by the sister is not reported by the student.

    If this is not the type of guardianship that counts, I would suggest that the student request a dependency override (given the circumstances). OP, you should talk with a financial aid officer at the school you want to attend. He/she will be able to review your guardianship papers.
  • luis978luis978 Registered User Posts: 6 New Member
    i'm sorry for the long wait. Yes, it is a court-ordered guardianship. The custody was forcibly removed from my father and transferred to my sister through the court. I was in foster care for about two weeks if that helps in any way.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 73,719 Senior Member
    I'm sorry for,this situation, but it's good that your sister was there to help.

    Hang onto those court papers. At some point you may need them for some college(s) as documentation.

    Given that this is a court appointed guardianship, you are independent for financial and for FAFSA purposes...read the first paragraph in the post by Kelsmom again. It sums it up well...and accurately.
This discussion has been closed.