right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Random Questions

Replies to: Random Questions

• doschicosdoschicos 20882 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Could you just make the amount you need as you use it? Slightly crush the clove and heat up the oil a little to infuse the oil?
    · Reply · Share
  • lamomlamom 1344 replies42 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thanks I hadn't planned on storing. Guess I'll just go ahead and try it.
    · Reply · Share
  • ConsolationConsolation 22863 replies184 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I love the fresh garlic in olive oil that is served with bread at a favorite restaurant. How do I do this and not worry about botulism.

Just don't. It is a ridiculous fear.
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20882 replies217 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Yeah, if you aren't planning to store it, I don't see the need to fear raw garlic. Do you not eat raw garlic at all?
    If you are cautious, my suggestion above of heating the oil would kill that tiny risk if you get the oil to a certain temp.
    · Reply · Share
  • lamomlamom 1344 replies42 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Sounds good to me, actually I hate raw garlic but the combination with bread is so wonderful. . Google results brought up botulism- mention was made that spores would grow in the anerobic conditions of the oil. I'm not going to store it or try to make infused oil. I buy garlic olive oil for cooking from local shop
    edited February 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55345 replies2878 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited February 2016
    Thanks, @lookingforward. With her Afrikaans accent, no one is pronouncing her name right! Almost sounds like "throne" or possibly "Thorn".
    edited February 2016
    · Reply · Share
  • nottellingnottelling 4269 replies60 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Do you use an apostrophe in the phrase "for convenience' sake"? (I'm not interested in hearing views on what the hypertechnical rules require; I am interested in what you do in actual practice).
    · Reply · Share
  • lookingforwardlookingforward 33544 replies367 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Me, too. Or, "For convenience." No, you wouldn't want an apostrophe hang off a word not ending in S, not possessive.
    · Reply · Share
  • mathmommathmom 32248 replies159 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Or "for your convenience"
    · Reply · Share
  • PizzagirlPizzagirl 40174 replies320 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Wouldn't it be "for convenience's sake"? The apostrophe hanging out there doesn't make sense, as it's not something like "the dogs' house" (meaning multiple dogs).
    · Reply · Share
    Agree with alh.
    · Reply · Share
  • nottellingnottelling 4269 replies60 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Thanks! We are having an argument at work, and I agree that the apostrophe looks dumb.

But there's more dissension on the issue than you would think! The New York Times is not consistent; it sometimes uses "for convenience' sake" and sometimes "convenience's sake." The New Yorker uses "for convenience's sake" except when they are quoting Virginia Woolf. Older editions of the Chicago Manual of Style apparently specifically reference "for convenience' sake" but new editions drop the example altogether (but do include "for goodness' sake" but also "for appearance's sake").

Anyway, it's a dumb argument but a bunch of us were stuck in a conference room waiting for someone, and doing some group editing.
    · Reply · Share
  • greenwitchgreenwitch 8725 replies41 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    What's going on with the west coast drought? I haven't heard much lately and I'd love some details from those of you who were xeriscaping and saving shower water a few months ago.
    · Reply · Share
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner 38742 replies467 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Saw it this morning. Pretty cool. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8483 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    seersucker:

before Memorial Day?
    before Easter?
    at the beach next week?
    · Reply · Share
    Where will you be? Mexico? Caribbean?
    · Reply · Share
  • alhalh 8483 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member