Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How to quit a club

ruthrowawayruthrowaway Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
I joined a club last semester and took on a board role for the upcoming year. I want to quit the club because the subject matter doesn't interest me and there are better things I could be doing with my time. How do I quit without causing any bad blood despite taking on the role?

Replies to: How to quit a club

• NorthernMom61NorthernMom61 Registered User Posts: 4,012 Senior Member
    Write a polite letter of resignation to the club leader and sponsor.
  • tangentlinetangentline Registered User Posts: 1,116 Senior Member
    edited July 2016
    Opt out ASAP in time for re-election. Depends on the group, but often they will be accepting of your decision. Talk it over with your board so they're informed.
  • bopperbopper Forum Champion CWRU Posts: 13,320 Forum Champion
    It is better to resign professionally (look at the by-laws and see if there is a method they prefer, e.g., by letter) than to just stop going.
  • bodanglesbodangles Registered User Posts: 9,185 Senior Member
    ^ Agreed. I am still peeved at a member of book club who got an officer position and then didn't come once all year. I had an officer position, got shunted out to make room for the older people who wanted one, and then ONE NEVER CAME BACK.
  • DreamSchlDropoutDreamSchlDropout Registered User Posts: 731 Member
    Definitely resign as professionally as you can. Follow the bylaws as @bopper recommends, and also stick around long enough to provide a smooth transition for your replacement, whether the bylaws require that of you or not.

In the business world, providing a smooth transition enables you to leave a company with a lot of goodwill (and typically some strong recommendations from your superiors). This is a great opportunity to begin developing that habit.
This discussion has been closed.