right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Suggestions for Safety schools? (Engineering)

nomadicmommynomadicmommy 22 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 27 New Member
We're US citizens who live overseas; so not in state anywhere, though we'd like S to be Midwest, East Coast, or South East to be close to relatives. S is a junior. He is interested in engineering - most likely computer, but maybe electrical or mechanical.
36 ACT (36/36/36/35), taken 8 APs so far - 5's in all. SAT 2s: Math, Physics, Chem (all 800). In the running for NMS.
Nothing spectacular in ECs. Basketball, Piano, community service.

So far our safeties are: Virginia Tech, University of Maryland-College Park, and University of Central Florida (full ride for NMF). Our matches so far: Notre Dame, Georgia Tech, UMich, Case Western.

Other suggestions for Safety schools (and maybe other Match schools) to consider?

11 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Suggestions for Safety schools? (Engineering)

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus 76630 replies666 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 77,296 Senior Member
    Cost constraints?

If you need low cost, consider looking in these lists for schools with the desired majors:
    http://automaticfulltuition.yolasite.com/
    http://nmfscholarships.yolasite.com/
    · Reply · Share
  • nomadicmommynomadicmommy 22 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 27 New Member
    Yup. That's where we learned of UCF :) U of Alabama is another option.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83935 replies1004 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,939 Forum Champion
    edited February 2017
    What is your budget? (Assume that you'll need to budget about $5k per year for health insurance and int'l travel costs).

I don't know if VT is a safety for an OOS student. Anyone know?
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • merc81merc81 10020 replies148 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 10,168 Senior Member
    For match schools, consider URochester, which would be similar to CWRU, but offers a more traditional campus. RPI, which offers a curriculum similar to that of G-tech -- but at the oldest technical school in the country -- might be another school to look into.
    · Reply · Share
  • nomadicmommynomadicmommy 22 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 27 New Member
    I had both URochester and RPI on the list, but I wasn't sure how good they are at giving financial aid. RPI students graduate with large loans, and URochester is just a bit better.
    · Reply · Share
  • lalalemmalalalemma 797 replies51 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 848 Member
    WPI - would be a safety and he would probably qualify for a lot of merit aid.
    · Reply · Share
  • JustGraduateJustGraduate 658 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 672 Member
    edited February 2017
    @mom2collegekids - think VT and UMD are pretty close to safeties because of the 36 ACT but not guarantees given that it's engineering. I have seen a couple self reports of 36 being denied for Eng at VT but don't know what else could be going on. Generally VT takes ~30% OOS in the big admitting picture but last year the OOS engineering admits were closer to 45%. If that's the beginning of a trend, it would further help the OP.

George Mason engineering would be a true safety academically with excellent research and internship opportunities in the DC metro area. Would be chance of merit aid for this student as well.
    edited February 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • 2sunny2sunny 374 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 385 Member
    @nomadicmommy Congrats on NMF ! We are also NMF ! wants Computer Science, so we are looking at U Central
    FL. Have you looked at colleges in TX for NMF? we just added U TX Dallas for their Full Ride, and then we are driving to U of KY for Merit week for their Full Ride.
    · Reply · Share
  • mom2collegekidsmom2collegekids 83935 replies1004 discussionsForum Champion Financial Aid, Forum Champion Alabama Posts: 84,939 Forum Champion
    <<<
    think VT and UMD are pretty close to safeties because of the 36 ACT but not guarantees given that it's engineering. I have seen a couple self reports of 36 being denied for Eng at VT but don't know what else could be going on.
    <<<

That's my concern....and each year things get more dicey. There is a lot of instate pressure to accept more instate kids because so many are getting rejected with strong stats. That 30% OOS may get reduced...who knows!
    · Reply · Share
  • Parentof2014gradParentof2014grad 928 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 939 Member
    Illinois Institute of Technology? It's midwest, strong in those majors, and your son would be considered for their competitive full tuition scholarships. My D's scholarship also covers a co-terminal master's degree. She's had some great opportunities there. PM me if you have any questions.
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks! These look great!
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity