Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Your vote for "Most Underappreciated" lesser known colleges?

Replies to: Your vote for "Most Underappreciated" lesser known colleges?

• gardenstategalgardenstategal Registered User Posts: 4,912 Senior Member
    I'll second Earlham!

Also Union in NY. Not well known outside the it's region. Engineering school as well as liberal arts.
  • TheGreyKingTheGreyKing Forum Champion Williams College Posts: 1,963 Forum Champion
    Connecticut College
  • wisteria100wisteria100 Registered User Posts: 4,067 Senior Member
    SUNY ESF
    Excellent programs in environmental studies.
  • MidwestDad3MidwestDad3 Registered User Posts: 2,186 Senior Member
    Sewanee, Earlham, Wells, Alfred
  • JeanJeanieJeanJeanie Registered User Posts: 140 Junior Member
    Re Harvey Mudd, we toured a year ago (I've known about it since the mid-1970s when my brainy BF applied). It seems a great place for the hardcore brainiac who loves the idea of a Spartan environment. The stark, barracks-style dorms will appeal to the anti-Ivy set for sure.

My favorite part of the tour was toward the end when the guide stopped us and pointed out, with extra emphasis, the mental health office. She made a strong point: if you feel you need some help, do NOT hesitate. A lot of nodding heads and knowing looks among the parents with that one.

As a native of SoCal, I should add if you've never been in that part of the region, note that most of the publicity photos show the Claremont Colleges in a glorious, postcard-worthy setting, with snowcapped mountains in the background. In reality, this happens maybe a few days a year. At least half the year, that area is shrouded in a hazy smog and you can barely see those mountains. But the beach is about an hour's drive.
  • zannahzannah Registered User Posts: 1,088 Senior Member
    In Iowa, Dubuque is located on the Mississippi River at the junction of MN, Wisconsin, I'll, and is a beautiful area. Loras, Clarke, and the University of Dubuque seen in Field of Dreams. Tuition at one allows students to take classes at the other two. Good schools. Webster University in Saint Louis
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,150 Senior Member
    Um... what an unpleasant set of comments about Mudd. For all the smog in the LA area, my experience the many times I visited the Mudd campus was that it isn't bad most of the time in Claremont, and I could usually see the mountains just fine. My kid also hiked in them all the time when she needed a break.

Also, it isn't that "Spartan". The new buildings in recent years (Shanahan for classrooms, Drinkward dorm) are really nice. They've done extensive internal remodeling in a lot of the lab & classroom areas, too. And I think the dining hall is maybe the best of the 5Cs.

The inside of my kid's suite style dorm room was no more "barracks style" than any other dorms we saw on our 40 college visits across 2 kids (Mount Holyoke had nicer rooms, and Amherst had nicer common areas).

Plenty of Mudders have overlap acceptances to Ivies, so not sure what that is about. They aren't "hardcore anti Ivy". But they may want to go to a school with a heavy STEM focus -- nothing wrong with that.
  • Burrito12Burrito12 Registered User Posts: 264 Junior Member
    UIUC and U-Wisconsin are great, maybe "lesser-known" schools?
  • not2disappearnot2disappear Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    Beloit College in Wisconsin! Nicest school EVER.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Union College, Schenectady, NY
    SUNY Binghamton
    SUNY Stony Brook
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers Registered User Posts: 3,305 Senior Member
    It's funny what some are saying are lesser known. UIUC, UWMadison, SUNY Binghamton and Stony Brook are all major Unis. Harvey Mudd is super highly rated and extremely well known.

Rose Hulman is less well known and deserves mentioning. (I might have missed it if someone already mentioned it.)
  • intparentintparent Registered User Posts: 36,150 Senior Member
    Mudd is much better known on the West coast. Surprisingly little recognition in the Midwest. Remember that they graduate less than 200 students a year and have only been around since 1955. That is an entire alumni population of around 10,000. It is an amazing school, and my Midwest kid adored it.
  • brantlybrantly Registered User Posts: 3,534 Senior Member
    Binghamton and Stony Brook are known in the NY, NJ, PA, CT area. Outside of there, not so much.