right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Preliminary list--would love advice!

2»

Replies to: Preliminary list--would love advice!

• doschicosdoschicos 20425 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,634 Senior Member
    +1 to University of Iowa. Iowa City is a nice small city/college town as well.
    · Reply · Share
  • ChembiodadChembiodad 2414 replies21 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,435 Senior Member
    edited January 2018
    @bearpanther, agree that the schools listed after Bard, and those suggested by others, would be good to take a further look at. Its always hard to predict an increase from 10th grade PSAT to SAT, but its generally assumed to be 150+/- for mid-range scorers (much less as you get to the top of the range) - hence the reason why I referenced 1370 as a good Match score to target. College Niche also has good student profile descriptions.
    edited January 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Wilson98Wilson98 392 replies2 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 394 Member
    I'd really try to get him to consider schools in PA. He may think that going away to a school an hour or two away is not really going away, but it is. The main difference between a school an hour or two away and one 4 hours away is that he'd come home 5 times a year instead of 3, and you might visit him a couple of times more often.

Pennsylvania probably has a better assortment of liberal arts colleges than any other state. Swarthmore and Haverford are probably out of reach (and Bryn Mawr is not possible, of course), but other PA schools include Bucknell, Lafayette, Franklin & Marshall, Gettysburg, Dickinson, Muhlenberg, Allegheny, Ursinus, and Juniata. F&M has a Writers House with writing programs. At Ursinus, he can submit a writing sample to try for a $33,000 a year scholarship and the right to spend freshman year in the single dorm room that J. D. Salinger spent his one semester of college in.

I'm pretty sure at least one of those colleges above would be a low reach or a solid match for him, and would be good in writing and/or history.
    · Reply · Share
  • jrmNY2018jrmNY2018 16 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 16 Junior Member
    Of the list immediately above, all are excellent, but I would say that Bucknell and Lafayette are reaches. How about University of Scranton?
    · Reply · Share
  • citymama9citymama9 2496 replies141 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,637 Senior Member
    If he would consider going south he might like Sewanee. I think they are supposed to have a strong writing program.
    · Reply · Share
  • jcmom716jcmom716 374 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 375 Member
    Agree with @Wilson98, don't totally disregard PA schools. Junior year my son and many of his friends thought they would be attending OOS schools. Come senior year only two, including my son, are now considering it. Most realized they didn't want to be a plane ride or 7 hour drive away. It may not hold true for your child, but I read a stat 70% of students are within a 3-4 drive from home.

That said, you have a good list of a variety of schools. Beloit might be a possibility although I don't know what majors they are strong in. If you want something a little larger, possibly the University of Rochester? Keep in mind changes in majors, location, and general thought process can occur over the next year. Like you, we started with a larger list and narrowed as time went on. Has your son visited any schools? Spring break would be a great time since many colleges have a different break than high schools. It was pretty easy for my son to take some off the list after visiting. As time went on we also added schools, many closer to home. There are many resources that can help give you a general feel of the school, Fiske Guide, College Niche, and College Data are a few in addition to Princeton Review. Also search here on CC...we found that very helpful in our journey.

· Reply · Share
  • moooopmoooop 2205 replies17 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,222 Senior Member
    edited February 2018
    Part of finding the right fit involves objective factors like big/small, urban/rural, affordability, & having the desired major.

But more subjective factors also contribute to fit. Having come from a small town myself, I would be concerned with whether your son will seem innocent & naive compared to his classmates. Some of the schools on your list would be a tough fit socially for the typical small town kid, especially Reed, Emerson.
    edited February 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity