right arrow
Make sure to check out our July Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: ehales3 is a rising sophomore at Cornell University. As a high school student, she always thought that she wanted to study in a more urban environment, but has grown to love Ithaca and all that it offers. ASK HER ANYTHING!
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Finalizing List

2»

Replies to: Finalizing List

• ChembiodadChembiodad 2414 replies21 threads Senior Member
    Agree with @doschicos; you'll want to reach out to coaches now as they are putting together their ED lists over the summer. Haverford has a great D3 team, and unlike NESCAC which doesn't allow admissions pre-reads until July 1, the Centennial Conference will do them now.
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10710 replies27 threads Senior Member
    Re: URochester ...

According to the "need blind" Wiki page I linked above, URochester is need-blind and full-need.
    However, according to its US News entry it meets 95% of demonstrated need on average, and meets the full need in < 90% of cases (https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-rochester-2894/paying). URochester does not seem to publish a Common Data Set, so we can't use that to verify what's what. So again ... run their NPC.
    Can I apply EA to multiple schools even if I apply ED to UChicago?

I want to say yes, but read the fine print.
    As far as I know, all EA (other than SCEA) applications are non-restrictive w.r.t. other applications.
    Of course, if UChicago accepts you in that ED round, you'll be expected to withdraw all other applications (unless you truly can't afford to accept their offer).
    https://blog.****/ea-vs-ed-vs-rea/
    · Reply · Share
  • Glorfindel1Glorfindel1 85 replies17 threads Junior Member
    For running in college, I would be competitive on an average DIII team, nothing better.

Biggest question - do you all recommend I apply to more lower admit higher aid schools like Kenyon or Grinnell instead of Rhodes, Wooster, and St. Olaf, which seem to be the schools with issues on my list, or look elsewhere? Most of the schools I am seeing suggested are reachier schools. URochester looks like a good option, I will try to run an NPC now. Looking into Dickinson as well.

Also, do I have a decent chance at getting into at least one of my reaches? I know I should not count on it but...
    · Reply · Share
    Bowdoin, Chicago and Williams are super reaches for everyone - athletic support in ED would make it a safer reach , but you would need to be a scorer to get that. Haverford is a reach that is tricky because it's so small; Colby and Davidson are also reaches, especially Colby as acceptance rate is plummeting - athletic support as just a mid pack runner would probably help at Colby and Haverford, but not Davidson as it's D1.
    · Reply · Share
    @Chembiodad Thanks, I would be scoring at UChicago, not at Williams, and I don't know about Bowdoin. I really love Chicago and will try to talk to the coach and apply ED to up my chances. Two people have gotten in from my school in recent years and I have just as good or better scores/classses than them, not that that means anything but it helps that they know my school.

Ran a rough NPC, don't have the info in front of me but I used old NPCs, and Rochester is too much (22,000) Kenyon is a lot as well (just under 10,000).
    · Reply · Share
    Bowdoin XC is not anywhere near as competitive as Williams and it's in a great town in Maine with easy access to Portland which is a very cool, hipster city.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43212 replies471 threads Senior Member
    edited June 2017
    Have you run the NPC on St Olaf, Macalester, Grinnell, Wooster, Earlham, Denison, Vassar?
    All of these will meet need for you (they use preferential packaging) but do they define need in a way that's affordable for your parents?
    Only apply to affordable colleges. That'll cut a bunch. Have 2 safeties and 3-5 matches. After that, apply to as many reaches as you wish and can afford.
    Do you qualify for application fee waivers on commonapp?
    edited June 2017
    · Reply · Share
  • tk21769tk21769 10710 replies27 threads Senior Member
    do you all recommend I apply to more lower admit higher aid schools like Kenyon or Grinnell instead of Rhodes, Wooster, and St. Olaf, which seem to be the schools with issues on my list, or look elsewhere?

If I were you, I'd want at least one offer, as early in the process as possible, from a "full need" (or automatic merit) college with an affordable net price estimate. UChicago is too selective to count on for that.

In your original post, I count 4 match schools (Wooster, Rhodes, St. Olaf, Miami OH).
    Suggestion: Drop at least 1 these and substitute a "full need" school(s) that shows a lower net price estimate. Preferably, it'd be a school with an EA option or quick RD turn-around (if you can find one you like).

IMO 6-8 applications should be enough to carry you through the early round. Such as:
    UChicago ED
    2 other reaches such as Williams/Bowdoin/Davidson/Haverford (RD) or Georgetown/Boston College (EA)
    2 "full need" target/match schools such as Brandeis (EA) + Grinnell/Kenyon (RD)
    1 or 2 lower target/match schools with decent n-b/merit aid prospects (Wooster/Rhodes/StO/MiamiO)
    1 true admission & financial safety

Then reassess, if necessary, after those early round result(s).
    Just in case things aren't going well, you could add 1 or more schools with late RD deadlines, if you think you'd prefer them to your safety.

· Reply · Share
    Thanks for the helpful responses,
    @Chembiodad Thats good to hear, XC may help on admission then, I'll get their coaches contact info.
    @MYOS1634 St. Olaf says about $8,000 which is a little much but okay. Wooster has a really rough calculator that says 12,000. Unfortunately I do not get fee waivers but I should have the money to apply to enough colleges.
    @tk21769 Dickinson is looking okay and they have an EA option. At $8,000 its a little much but the best I've seen for a match school. Wooster and Miami have EA so I might as well apply to them too. If UChicago doesn't work out I also have some schools with EDII.

Right now I'm thinking UChicago ED, Williams, Bowdoin, Davidson, Haverford, Colby, Wooster EA, St. Olaf, Dickinson EA, Miami EA, UofL

I'm loading up on reach schools because I love them and they have the best FA. I also have time for essays as I'm starting early. My matches are iffy on being able to afford them but I may get lucky and may be surprised as well. Worst case scenario I get paid lots of money to go to U of L.
    · Reply · Share
  • MYOS1634MYOS1634 43212 replies471 threads Senior Member
    3 matches, two safeties, all affordable based on need (and merit would likelyvcome onto play to decrease costs there.)
    I think your list's good.
    Now's time to contact the coaches as they may be able to help with an 'early read'.
    · Reply · Share
    I just realized I forgot to say it is possible I could be a National Merit Semifinalist (most become finalists) I am right on the cusp of the cutoff for KY last year. Should I contact coaches of all my reach and matches? No way I can run for Davidson, U of L, or Miami though the others I probably could.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2017
    One more that will likely work out well on FA is Hamilton and given your stats it should be an achievable reach. My DD is running there next year so I've spent a lot of time on that one.

If you start reaching out asap (fill out recruiting questionnaires and email coaches) and they think there's a fit most conference will give you a pre-read quickly, although the NESCAC coaches can't start pre-reads until July - regardless you should know where you stand will all by end of August.

You'll know fairly quickly whether the coach will support you in ED, and if more than one school/team is of interest you can go ED1 and if you get deferred you can go RD to others and still get some coaches support - it's not a binary process.
    edited June 2017
    · Reply · Share
    Thanks, I'll get on that. Will it still help to contact programs like Haverford and Williams since I won't be anywhere near the top of their teams and I'm okay on finances there? I'll definitely contact Chicago and my match schools.
    · Reply · Share
    edited June 2017
    Yes, that will ensure that the coach knows who you are and want you on the team - xc and track is becoming a headcount sport at NESCAC schools just like football, lacrosse, soccer. Are. While you might not be a "slot" on teams like Haverford or Williams, you might be able to get a "tip" from the coaches at these others schools - given the variability of admissions it all helps!
    edited June 2017
    · Reply · Share
    edited March 2018
    Updating for those that may search this thread for their own benefit.

I ended up getting into the WOW program at Williams, applying ED, and I will be attending in the fall (Super Excited!!). I am paying about $9,000 a year which is doable with outside scholarships for my family.

I ended up not contacting coaches as I have been injured and will most likely be running on my own during college.
    edited March 2018
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity