right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
GUEST STUDENT OF THE WEEK: Rohan is a freshman at Dartmouth (and loves it) having gotten in ED for the Class of 2023. He's here to debunk myths regarding admissions and student life at his school. ASK HIM ANYTHING!
Make sure to check out our May Checklists for HS Juniors and HS Seniors. Consult these quick resources to get you started on the process this month.
As we work to adjust to the current reality, make sure to check out these dedicated COVID-19 resources: our directory of virtual campus tours, our directory of extended deadlines, as well as the list of schools going test optional this fall.

Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

Replies to: Dorm room extras that made life more comfortable

• luckyboothluckybooth 61 replies7 threads Junior Member
    My kid is taking this: Vaulltz Locking Letter/Legal Chest
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0171E8O14/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll be securing it to some type of furniture in the room with this: TSA Approved Cable Luggage Locks plus 4 Ft Cable
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MQ2LKOJ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

or maybe burying it in the closet
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 6871 replies30 threads Senior Member
    Neither of my kids did any safe things nor anyone we or they know. What is everyone trying to conceal?
    · Reply · Share
  • melvin123melvin123 1747 replies28 threads Senior Member
    There’s another thread similar to this one ; we need to consolidate them.
    I’m wondering how kids secure laptops. I had seen something similar to a bike lock that you put in your usb drive, and wondered whether kids actually use it or whether there’s something better. If a lot of kids on campus think you’re a dweeb for using this lock all the time, I suspect my D won’t use it.
    · Reply · Share
    @amom2girls well that makes sense and is very responsible! We have copies of all passports, credit cards, license etc. at home also.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 40797 replies7569 threads Super Moderator
    There’s another thread similar to this one ; we need to consolidate them.
    I closed the other one and redirected here.
    I’m wondering how kids secure laptops.
    I don't cable it; I just don't leave it unattended.
    · Reply · Share
  • WWC4meWWC4me 211 replies5 threads Junior Member
    @melvin123 I asked my older girls about the laptops as D18 has a brand new one. They said that when they were out of the room, the laptops were with them in their backpacks. When they were in the shower or whatever, they just put it away in their rooms. It's just important that they keep their dorm rooms locked.
    · Reply · Share
  • CheeringsectionCheeringsection 2717 replies83 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    My DS has a small safe for his “important papers” , extra set of car keys, wallet, etc. the papers include medical POA, passport card, university health form, copy of social security card etc. They are both secure and in a defined place so that he always knows where to find them. It does lock via a cable and combo lock to a piece of furniture—usually under his bed so out of sight of visitors. It also came in handy when his roommate left town and left his wallet on his desk. DS was able to lock it up for the roommate.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • Marcie123Marcie123 431 replies33 threads Member
    My D has a safe that looks like a book. She used it freshman year for some meds. She was recovering from a spinal fusion and was still taking Valium and Vicodin occasionally.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7948 replies159 threads Senior Member
    edited August 2018
    What a GREAT idea!!!!!

Thanks @BSL1199

The technology is a bit over my head, but I can do it as a word document, by month.
    edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • DustyfeathersDustyfeathers 3569 replies85 threads Senior Member
    Humble brag here, but my DD is attending a college with honor codes where they don't need to lock anything up. I'm taking them at their words at this point that they can leave stuff out and nothing gets stolen. We will see how it goes. No safe for us.
    · Reply · Share
  • bjkmombjkmom 7948 replies159 threads Senior Member
    My issue with honor codes is that they only work with honorable people. Someone who would steal would also have no issue signing an honor statement.

No safe for my daughter either. But she'll be sure to put her stuff away. And we'll be making sure that both her laptop and phone are covered by insurance.
    · Reply · Share
  • momofsenior1momofsenior1 9799 replies110 threads Senior Member
    My daughter has a small safe too for passports and those kinds of documents. More out of a sense of wanting to have a place where it wont get lost!

My daughter said her mattress topper and soft sheets were the extra that made the most difference. She loves her bed at school!
    · Reply · Share
  • artmummyartmummy 13 replies0 threads New Member
    edited August 2018
    @twoinanddone Thanks

Am so over this dorm shopping. I may email Housing to see if they can offer insight on some dimensions for the room, but whatever I don't find now will have to get there on parents weekend or shipped

The most important part is the bed linen -still looking for inexpensive deep xl sheets.

edited August 2018
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 24514 replies19 threads Senior Member
    Humble brag here, but my DD is attending a college with honor codes where they don't need to lock anything up

If your daughter is at a service academy, she'll be fine. If she's not, there will be people on campus who have not agreed to follow the honor code.
    · Reply · Share
  • sunset88sunset88 95 replies0 threads Junior Member
    The school ours attended, the top dresser drawer had the capability of locking. All you needed was to bring the lock of your choice.
    · Reply · Share
    @Dustyfeathers know your people. My daughter last year lived in a theater house with 25 kids. No problem at all. Never an issue as they all looked out for each other but it's the people that didn't live there that were the problem. You should be able to leave your computer on your desk at a library while going to the bathroom or taking a break but again sometimes outside people study at those libraries also... So far 2 kids in college and they both have all their stuff. No locks or safes.
    · Reply · Share
  • MACmiracleMACmiracle 1556 replies30 threads Senior Member
    My oldest went to a college where the honor code seemed to be faithfully observed, but I'd have to look at the clergy report to see if it was an illusion. In the dining hall and other spaces, surfaces were always covered with unattended phones, keys, bags, etc. D lost a device once and it was turned into security.
    · Reply · Share
  • pickledgingerpickledginger 500 replies18 threads Member
    On the topic of dorm room safes, when one of my children was initially prescribed stimulant medication for ADHD as a 9th grader, the psychiatrist told him, "If you are still taking this when you go to college, be sure to plan to keep it in a secure lockbox because it is likely that there will come a time that someone (who does not have ADHD) will ask/beg you for some of it because they will say they will fail a test otherwise."

It was kind of shocking to hear at the time, but we certainly have not forgotten her advice. She has patients who attend a variety of colleges, including very prestigious privates, colleges with honor codes, etc., and she says this is a real problem. Apparently, people who do not have ADHD have a completely different reaction to stimulant medication than those who have ADHD.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity