I’m really stuck. Currently, I’m a 10th grader going into 11th grade this fall. I’ve thought about quitting band in passing, but I haven’t really seriously considered it until this year. I’d like you guys’ opinions on whether or not you’d think it’d be a smart idea to quit band, as I’m currently caught right in the middle. I’ll try my best to explain my current situation, thanks for your help!
- I’ve played clarinet for 5 years now, and I used to love playing clarinet; practicing 1000 minutes a week was easy for me. Now I’m lucky if I even get to 120: I can never bring myself to practice and it’s more of a hassle than anything.
- However, I go to a school well known for its music program in a state well known for its music education. We have a very skilled concert band and our marching band has improved a lot in recent years. I’m currently in the top band.
- I’ve really enjoyed marching band, though I don’t enjoy the time constraints. We just recently won a championship and I greatly enjoyed our show. I’d like to see the next season through, but I’m not sure if the payoff is worth the time.
- I have a huge workload right now, and next year will only get worse. I struggle to juggle all my weighted classes, but I can do it and do well, although at the cost of my mental health and time (I’m in the top 3% currently). Next year I’ll be taking AP Chem, AP Seminar, Pre-AP Pre-Cal, AP English 3, Pre-AP Comp-Sci, and Pre-AP Physics. Band takes up my time during both semesters and adds stress. Even now, I get home around 7 everyday.
- Band brings my GPA down, but I’m not going to quit just because of this.
- I’d like more time to explore what I’m really passionate about: right now I’m feeling kind of burnt out and lost, and I know I’m not continuing with music in college.
- I’d like to commit more to my other extracurriculars and commitments, like the busness club I’m in and volunteering at my church. I want a leadership position in the business club I’m in but I can’t fully commit with band. I have a chance at leadership in band next year, but not a guaranteed one.
- I’m not afraid I’ll lose friends if I quit, only that I’ll have a hard time making new ones. All my friends are in band and I’ve been stuck with these band kids for 5 years now. I have a hard time branching out. (I don’t love everyone in band, but I’m used to them)
- My parents want me to quit band because I’m too stressed.
- Colleges might question my decision to quit, I’m not sure I’m well-rounded enough to leave although I do have other commitments.
- Side note, but I have to go through my band director and private lesson teacher to quit, who historically have made people who quit cry.
- I do like soloistic playing, but only occasionally.
- I’ll miss some parts of band, like the people, closeness we feel sometimes, and success, and I feel like I might miss opportunities to be a part of our marching band next season. Band as a whole doesn’t make me happy, but I do enjoy marching season.
- I have the option to quit after next marching season, but that’ll kind of negate the reduction of stress I’d get by quitting before the season, and it’d still lower my GPA.
What do you guys think? Thanks for your help, and sorry for the organization and length. I tried to keep it short(er).