Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

Replies to: 2016 and beyond wedding moms and dads

• lookingforwardlookingforward Registered User Posts: 31,209 Senior Member
    I met with D1 yesterday. She showed me her budget (which I think is too high,) but we got along sweetly. She's got 4 or 5 venues in mind, each with its own charms. Most of the rest in consideration (like the photog) is strong recommendations from recent bride friends. She surprised me that one place is a local church both of them like. It recently built a gorgeous adjoining pavillion for events.

I told them their next step is to vet them in person. Decide if they want me along or not. Then get to tasting food. Another surprise: turns out she cares next to nothing about the food. The elegance, an open bar, dancing, her own look matter more. Said she never remembers the food at past weddings. So I'll probably get a large vote in how we handle that. They're thinking 5-10pm, so a meal is a must. Agrees on a Fri or Sunday choice.

Some places include a "day of" coordinator. Most include passed hors d'oeuvres (I remember someone's comments about add-on pricing for that.) Most have an hour open wine/beer bar. The others, we'll see how the caterer manages.

And as with so many here, the guest list has risen from 60 to 70.

Still terribly early in the game.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,439 Senior Member
    My opinion...people don’t remember the exact food if it’s good....so make sure it is...good.
    Thanks. You betcha. This is is great food area. I've eaten from the top 3 caterers in play (attached to a venue or their short list,) and they're great. In the past. One place does their own and they're the unknown. Private club. We do need to test eat. Lol.
    Btw. At my suggestion, she got ring insurance and I do advocate that, if anyone hasn't. Inexpensive.
  • dentmom4dentmom4 Registered User Posts: 1,154 Senior Member
    We are fortunate that D's venue has a single caterer that I have tasted many times. They have a monopoly on many country clubs in the area and dentists tend to hold meetings in those spaces. I have eaten just about every entree over many years and they are absolutely fine. I agree that people don't remember good food, and maybe not even bad!

She and FSIL are coming to taste in a few weeks anyway. She is vegetarian and they have offered to plate a veg meal for any guest who requests it (no extra charge). The buffet will have 2 entrees. They haven't chosen them yet, but leaning toward the beef and chicken options.

The bakery has changed as one I grew up with now has a local shop. She wants cupcakes and we had a few in January. She and FSIL are sold on them! For a small fee, they will provide all trays and stands for set-up, plus offer tips for design.

We are moving right along. The shower invites have been ordered, the invitations are designed, her dress is almost finished with alterations, bridesmaids selecting their dress style, hair/makeup salon reserved. Check, check, check.
  • BunsenBurnerBunsenBurner Registered User Posts: 37,762 Senior Member
    Big kiddo chose the catering program at a local technical college to cater her reception meal to let them practice and to save $$. Chicken, veg, and salmon are all I can remember. It was not a Michelin-starred meal, but the guests were quite happy. The "cake" was a cupcake pyramid (baked by big kiddo and buddies), and the centerpiece was handpainted by baby kiddo (wooden figurines from Michael's). I agree that unless the meal is really awful or the guests are so picky they expect a five-star restaurant service, the food is not going to be a big deal.
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,707 Senior Member
    edited February 17
    I remember bad food or not enough food (don't need to be expensive food, but has to be good). I am one of those people who get hangry. :( The next thing is drinks for me and my third is music.
    For D1's wedding we specifically asked if they would have enough servers so food would come out fresh.
  • HouseChatteHouseChatte Registered User Posts: 357 Member
    @VeryHappy congratulations -- sounds like a wonderful event, so warm and lovely!
  • oldfortoldfort Registered User Posts: 22,707 Senior Member
    Congratulations. Very nice.
  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 74,439 Senior Member
    @VeryHappy sounds terrific!
    @VeryHappy You sound so very happy. Sweet. Congrats.
  • momjrmomjr Registered User Posts: 2,182 Senior Member
    The wedding sounds amazing @VeryHappy. Congratulations!
  • 1214mom1214mom Registered User Posts: 4,394 Senior Member
    Oops, post 7723 above was not meant for this thread, sorry.