right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

Replies to: When Do Colleges Rescind Acceptances?

• psychboypsychboy 4 replies5 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Thanks Sally. It was in an AP class if that makes any difference. It was just an online class and if you missed the deadline, then you couldn't even make it up so it hit really hard 3rd quarter. I'm just worried since it dropped to a B, but most people say that Bs are fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3010 replies1109 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    @psychboy --You'll be fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • mikester12mikester12 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hey Sally I'm sorta in the same boat as these other guys. What if I drop from a A+ to a 77? It was an online class unrelated to my major, and all my other classes are As. I got into Yale, so I hope this doesn't warrant a recession?
    · Reply · Share
  • Sally_RubenstoneSally_Rubenstone 3010 replies1109 discussionsCC Admissions Expert Posts: 4,119 Senior Member
    @mikester12 - No, you won’t lose your spot over this.
    · Reply · Share
  • texasstudent2019texasstudent2019 5 replies1 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Hey Sally,

Sorry about pestering you with questions like this, but my final grades for the semester came out, and it turns out my final tally for the semester is all As except a single C in CS, which is unfortunate because CS is my intended major at Duke. However, the reason for the C was because my CS instructor gave me a zero for a 30-minute-late online submission worth 10% of my grade because i didn't have access to wifi.

What would be your suggested course of action, and how real is the chance that my admission to Duke gets rescinded?
    · Reply · Share
    @texasstudet2019-From where I sit, there's NO chance that Duke will rescind your acceptance. Even so, because you expect to be a CS major and your C was in CS, it would be appropriate for you to write to Duke and explain what you just said here .. how the zero on the assignment was the result of your not having WiFi access.

I don't know if your lack of WiFi was temporary and unusual (e.g., you were on a camping trip or an airplane or visiting your uncle in the middle of nowhere) or if it has been an ongoing issue for you (i.e., no WiFi in your home). But if it's the latter, you should mention that too.
    · Reply · Share
  • rpdladhrwlrpdladhrwl 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi Sally,

My situation is a bit different from others here, as I'm a transfer student looking to join U of Illinois Urbana-Champaign this fall. I'm currently studying at a different 4-year college, and my last semester grades aren't looking so good. I am currently a sophomore standing student, and I will have exactly 60 credits - so Junior - when I join UIUC.

At my current institution, my last (and first) semester GPA was somewhat of a promising 4.0. This semester, I will have 2 As, 1 B, 1 C and 1 D. That D was in Accounting, which is a class that is unrelated to the major when joining UIUC.

Regardless of it being unrelated to my major, the D letter grade really concerns me, and I was wondering if this would rescind my admission to UIUC. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
    @ rpdladhrwl - My guess is that your acceptance won't be rescinded. But you should be proactive and contact UIUC now and try to explain your downturn. If you struggled with illness or added responsibilities at work or at home, be sure to say so. You can also mention that the accounting course was outside of your major, but don't make it seem as if you didn't care about it because you didn't find it important. Instead, however, you can say that it was unfamiliar material that was difficult for you.

When students appear to care about poor grades, admission officials are more likely to give them a break than if it seems that they don't care.

Good luck!
    · Reply · Share
  • bigsambigsam 6 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6 New Member
    Good Morning Sally,

I am on the fence of earning a C in a major pre req and am worried my admission will be rescinded.
    Background- Cumulative GPA is 3.83, with no other C’s on my transcript. Will earn A’s in all other courses this semester which include two other major pre reqs. Term gpa will be 3.41 which will drop my overall gpa to a 3.75.
    I am transferring to UCLA from a california CC as a physiology major.
    Will this drop in gpa result in the cancellation of my admission?
    · Reply · Share
    @bigsam--Keep in mind that I never have access to all of the information about an applicant that admission officials have. But, based on the small piece of the picture I'm seeing here, I think you should be fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • TrykltTryklt 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi, I have been admitted to Purdue University CS. Honors program. I just have two weeks left in the school year. My AP Statistics Grade is 72%. C. We are doing a group project and my teammate has not done a good job. There is a high possibility that my score will go down to D. Will my admission be affected because of that? What can I do right now? I have 1 A, 3 Bs in other subjects. My GAP was 3.6 when I applied. Also this is an AP class. Please guide me. I am nervous.
    · Reply · Share
    @Tryklt - If you do get the D, you can write to Purdue to explain the situation, emphasizing that you did thoroughly complete your own part of the project.

My son was in your situation once in high school. He was doing a project singlehandedly after his teammates bailed. Since some of their work was essential to the project, he knew he couldn't avoid a low grade. But he met with the teacher, and the teacher allowed him to do an individual project for extra credit. It had been my understanding that he would get BOTH grades ... the C- that the team had earned for the lousy project plus the A that my son got on his individual one. Yet, when the dust settled, the teacher expunged the low grade and gave my son only the high one. I guess he realized that he'd stuck my kid with a bunch of slackers. ;-)

So, if there is enough time left in the semester, you can suggest some sort of extra-credit work to your teacher, too. If you can't do that, write to Purdue. But emphasize the efforts that YOU put into the project rather than spending the whole message trashing your teammate!! You should be fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • IamkimIamkim 1 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1 New Member
    Hello! My daughter was accepted to UNC Greensboro with a 3.85 gpa. This semester she has had trouble with one online class through a NC state program. She thinks she will get a D. Her other grades this semester are two As and one weighted B. She is terrified her offer will get rescinded. What do you think will happen? Should she call the school and tell them? Thanks!
    · Reply · Share
    @lamkin-She should be proactive and explain her situation to her admission officer. You can read more specifics in many of my other comments on this thread. My best guess is that she will be fine.
    · Reply · Share
  • koalabear_koalabear_ 2 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2 New Member
    edited May 22
    Hey Sally!

I was accepted to Yale. This semester I will be receiving 2 A's 4 B's and 2 C's. Last semester I had 6 A's and 2 B's. In addition, I had all A's before senior year.
    The only improvement I had this semester was that I had a B for AP Lit first semester, but this semester I got it up to an A. the 2 C's are in multivariable calculus and this independent studying class I am taking (I forgot to turn in assignments because of family issues). Will I be rescinded?

Thank you!
    edited May 22
    · Reply · Share