right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How does walking on a XC D3 team work?

2»

Replies to: How does walking on a XC D3 team work?

• homerdoghomerdog 4691 replies86 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,777 Senior Member
    @mamom head coach already responded as I think I mentioned above. Sounds like he probably won’t have to get to school early but he will confirm that and all of the details next week when they talk on the phone. :)
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20434 replies209 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 20,643 Senior Member
    As far as summer training goes, I'd be highly surprised if the coach/asst. coach doesn't give him a training schedule to follow. And then he should do exactly that.
    · Reply · Share
  • homerdoghomerdog 4691 replies86 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 4,777 Senior Member
    @doschicos that’s my guess as well. I’m pretty curious what it looks like versus what he’s done in summers past. It’s training for 8k instead of 5k so I’m sure it’s different. Talking to coaches from other schools during last fall, it seemed that their 8k summer training plans involved fewer miles than he was running but more cross training and even some strength training. His high school training was just a lot of running - 6 to 9 miles every day and 13-15 mile run on Saturdays.
    · Reply · Share
  • SoCal4TASoCal4TA 15 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 15 Junior Member
    edited May 14
    Agreed with many comments above. As a recruited freshman at Bowdoin for another sport, my son was given a detailed training schedule for the summer preceding his arrival. It was a smartphone app, with pre-entered requirements set up by the trainer, and then monitored by the trainer and coach. As also mentioned above, there was no early arrival or practice for the team, as the freshman arrived on move-in day and then departed for orientation trips the next day (which was an outstanding experience!). Good luck to your son- Go U Bears!
    edited May 14
    · Reply · Share
  • mamommamom 3649 replies24 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,673 Senior Member
    I will say I was really surprised how much the trainer and head coach reached out over the summer. My D found a gym that had specialized workouts for college athletes and a place to play over the summer with other athletes in her sport. Of course, I almost chocked on the cost of the gym workouts, but the trainers there interacted with my daughters college trainer and discussed her needs. I felt it was worthwhile, just very expensive. And, while I am thinking of it, my daughter got the largest amount of swipes allowed on the meal plan. We will pay for that plan again next year. D would have actually liked more swipes per week when her team played. I think this is one area where athletes need more. Either healthy snacks after late practices, or early morning workouts, etc. But, don't try to save money on the meal plan. I wish the athletic dept had food on hand for these kids.
    · Reply · Share
  • twoinanddonetwoinanddone 22098 replies14 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 22,112 Senior Member
    My daughter's work out area had food available - protein bars, bananas, juice, water. Sometimes the coaches had other food (bagels, sandwiches, pizza) for meetings. They had plenty of food, but the cafeteria was centrally located so they could go in and get food all the time. Those living in the dorms had unlimited swipes, and other had plenty.

Her boyfriend, on the men's team, did complain when they traveled that they didn't get to order whatever they wanted. D's coach gave each player a budget (like $15 for dinner) but the boys ate 'family style' at places like Olive Garden with big bowls of salad and pasta.
    · Reply · Share