right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Sending a kid to college in a state that is trying to ban abortions

Replies to: Sending a kid to college in a state that is trying to ban abortions

• bearcatfanbearcatfan 1138 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,150 Senior Member
    I'm a woman with two daughters of child-bearing age. It would not really concern me, or them.

They are staying in-state, anyway, in a flyover state that very few people care about until election season.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2284 replies57 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,341 Senior Member
    Everyone has the option of deciding where they will or will not choose to apply. Boycotting is overall a personal decision. This is a subject that goes about 50/50. There are instances where boycotts can backfire (think chick filet their sales increase after nearly every call for a boycott). There may be some families who choose Alabama because they support the states decision. In the end Alabama will always have the advantage of being a good state flagship that offers great guaranteed FA for top students. It is the students and their families decision as to whether or not state politics sways their decisions whether or not to apply. This is a dangerous conversation for this site.
    · Reply · Share
  • Leigh22Leigh22 634 replies9 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 643 Member
    ^^It’s a sad state of affairs if the job market discriminates against graduates of schools such as the U if Alabama.
    · Reply · Share
  • lvvcsflvvcsf 2284 replies57 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,341 Senior Member
    "For me it's less about the specific medical service (abortion), which if God forbid my child were ever to need it she'd have the resources to go to another state. It's more about the signal it sends about women's autonomy and whether lawmakers in these states feel women, in conjunction with their doctors, should be trusted to make their own medical decisions."

Here lies the danger of this topic. If one were to express an opposing view to this poster then the subject would become political and would likely be shut down. I am sure there are those who might have a rebuttal to this statement but to make it sends this discussion in a very different direction.
    · Reply · Share
  • skieuropeskieurope 37891 replies6558 discussionsSuper Moderator Posts: 44,449 Super Moderator
    edited June 11
    MODERATOR'S NOTE:
    Reopening thread after having deleted/edited several posts. The OP started with a very valid question, "Have you considered this in deciding which colleges are a good fit for your kids? Should you?"

Per Terms of Service:"Politics, religion, and similar controversial topics should be discussed only as directly applicable to college matters. College Confidential is not a debating society. Hence, "Would a Catholic be comfortable at BYU?" or "What is the political environment at Grinnell?" are fine. "Democrats (or Republicans) are evil!" and other opinions unrelated to the college process are not allowed. "
    https://www.collegeconfidential.com/policies/rules/

To that end, the following (which is not exhaustive) are examples of what is prohibited, and which I deleted:

• Comparison of US or [insert state here] policies with any foreign state
    • Abortion rates over time/by stage/by age group/by ethnicity, etc.
    • Opinions about what abortion laws should be (as opposed to statements of fact, which is OK)
    • Value judgments against individuals and/or institutions
    • Opinions about SCOTUS will do, or Roe v Wade in general
    • What the entertainment industry (or any other group) is planning in support or dissent
    Other potentially controversial topics, e.g. gun laws
    • Irresponsible journalism
    • Discussion of moderators' actions

Any further violations of ToS may result in further comments being deleted/edited without comment, individual warnings,and/or thread closure.
    edited June 11
    Post edited by skieurope on
    · Reply · Share
  • Groundwork2022Groundwork2022 1792 replies20 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,812 Senior Member
    I am conflicted about this as well.

I know this sounds really, really bad, but from a financial standpoint, isn't one better off taking Alabama's scholarship money and, if necessary, sending daughter on a hopefully-one-time trip to another state if drastic measures are needed? Exactly how many abortions are we expecting our daughters to have while attending college? Zero, hopefully. One, an emergency? More than one is fairly unusual for college age women.

I guess I am saying that, at this time, it likely wouldn't be a factor for this family's college choice. Things could change. Getting to another state and back is not a financial hardship for us at this time. We have mixed feelings on abortion, but we all agree that, if you're going to do it, the earlier in the pregnancy the better. Again, finances could change, political viewpoints can change. As long as 'Bama is giving out generous scholarships to OOS students, though, the finances don't change.
    · Reply · Share
  • Midwest67Midwest67 2849 replies11 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 2,860 Senior Member
    One kid is looking at which grad schools to apply to and this topic has not been a consideration for her or us parents.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity